Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of England

01 March 2013

1861 – St. Stephen’s Church, Albert Square, Clapham Rd, London

Architect: John Barnett Albert Square is an outstanding example of one of London’s famous ‘garden squares’. Built on what was originally market garden land in the mid-19th century, it was completed between 1848...

16 July 2009

1861 – St. Stephens Church, South Lambeth, London

Architect: John Bennett Consecrated in 1861, the church could seat 1,200 people. By the 1960s the congregation numbers had collapsed and the decision was taken to demolish the church. It was totally removed...

31 January 2013

1861 – Volunteer Drill Hall, Bradford, Yorkshire

Architect: Andrews & Delaunay From The Building News: “THE accompanying is a view of the drill-room about to be built for the Sth West York Rifle Volunteers at Bradford, on land leased to...

16 March 2013

1861 – Wexham Lodge, Buckinghamshire

Architect: John Barnett From The Building News, January 18 1861: “THE engraving presents a view of an Elizabethan mansion, from tho designs of Mr. John Barnett, architect, now completing for Joseph Grote, Esq.,...

06 February 2013

1861- Gloucester Probate Court, Gloucestershire

Architect: Fulljames & Waller Building still extant but no longer in use as probate court. Published in The Building News, March 6 1861: “ERECTED by Thomas Holt, Esq., the diocesan registrar and secretary...

16 October 2009

1862 – “Foxhill”, Weetwood, Leeds, Yorkshire

From The Building News, June 20, 1862: This house, of which we give an engraving on the opposite page, is situated at Weetwood, a few miles from Leeds, and is built on the...

16 October 2009

1862 – Agricultural Hall, Islington, London

Architect: Frederick Peck From The Building News, December 5, 1862: This building is now completed, and will be opened on Monday next by the Smithfield Club. It has been erected by a company...

16 October 2009

1862 – Asylum of Merchant Seamen’s Orphans, Snaresbrook, London

Architect: George Somers Clarke From The Building News, October 31, 1862: The Asylum of the Merchant Seamen’s Orphans is an institution founded for the support and education of the children of deceased and...

16 October 2009

1862 – Birmingham Exchange Buildings

Architect: Edward Holmes From The Building News, August 22, 1862: The Assembly Room is 70 ft. by 40 ft. and 28 ft. high, and is situate on the first floor over the Exchange...

11 March 2011

1862 – Church of SS. Phillip & James, Oxford

Architect: George Edmund Street Construction began on May 1, 1860, with the laying of the foundation stone by Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Oxford. The church was designed by G.E. Street, the Diocesan architect,...