Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of England

29 June 2009

1908 – Stockport Town Hall & Municipal Buildings, Lancashire

Architect: Alfred Brumwell Thomas An imposing Italian marble entrance leads to the Edwardian Ballroom, which former poet laureate Sir John Betjeman described as “magnificent”. This contains a Wurlitzer organ formerly installed in Manchester’s...

08 July 2009

1908 – The “Hare & Hounds” Inn, Sonning Common, Oxfordshire

Architect: W.C.A. Hambling Designed for for Messrs. Breakspear & Sons. Published in The Building News, October 23rd 1908. “This house is being erected upon a prominent site. The existing license is to be...

07 July 2009

1908 – The Dorothy Boot Homes, Wilford, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

Architect: Calvert & Gleave Jesse Boot (founder of The Boots Company) was proud of his native Nottingham, and contributed to schemes for the welfare of the city and its inhabitants. In 1908 the...

07 July 2009

1908 – The New Nave, Hexham Abbey, Northumberland

Architect: Temple Moore Views of new nave at Hexham Abbey published in The Building News, August 7th 1908.

24 June 2009

1908 – Thought Cot, Brentwood, Essex

Architect: J.E. Marten

27 June 2009

1908 – Wesleyan Sailors & Soldiers Home & Church, Portsmouth, Hampshire

Architect: Gordon & Gunton

11 June 2012

1908 – Wesleyan Sunday School, Newton Heath, Manchester

Architect: Smith & Matley Published in The Building News, November 20th 1908. For a time, used for services after the main church across the street was demolished due to dry rot. Later demolished.

04 October 2009

1910 – “Lancelands”, Cotherstone, Yorkshire

Architect: L. Sutton Wood

29 June 2009

1910 – ‘Olantigh’, Wye, Kent

Architect: A. Barnett Brown & Ernest Barrow