Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of England

17 August 2010

1916 – Pusey House, St. Giles Street, Oxford

Architect: Temple Moore Elevation to St. Giles Street published in The Architect, February 25th 1916. In 1884 the “Pusey Memorial House” was founded in memory of Edward Bouverie Pusey (1800-1882), one of the...

05 February 2012

1917 – Cunard Building, Liverpool

Architect: Willink & Thicknesse Constructed between 1914 and 1916, and one of the Pier Head’s ‘Three Graces’, the Cunard Line’s head office for 60 years from its completion in 1917 until the Company’s...

10 June 2013

1918 – Australia House, The Strand, London

Architect: Alexander Marshall Mackenzie A major landmark on Strand, London, construction on the building by the Dove Brothers commenced in 1913, but was delayed by World War I. Designed by the Scottish architect...

01 May 2014

1918 – Design for Village Centre, Enham Alamein, Hampshire

Architect: Fred Rowntree & Ralph W. Thorp Design for a medical block for a village centre for the Villages Centres Council. Published in The Building News, January 22 1919.

01 October 2013

1918 – Midland Rd. Infants’ School, Bradford, Yorkshire

Architect: William Williamson From The Building News, January 29, 1919: “This school has recently been erected in the Midland Road, Manningham, for 250 infants. The front aspect is south- east, and entrances are...

01 October 2013

1918 – School for Crippled & Deaf Children, Bolton Rd., Bradford, Yorkshire

Architect: William Williamson Now a care centre for children with disabilities. From The Building News, January 1, 1919: “These school buildings have just been completed. They mark a further advance in the educational...

09 September 2013

1918 – Single Room Dwellings, Longlands, Bradford, Yorkshire

Architect: William Williamson From The Building News, January 1, 1919: “This scheme provides for sixty-three single-roomed dwellings for the housing of 126 persons. The site occupied was formerly a very congested slum area,...

01 July 2013

1919 – “The Hollies”, Enfield, London

Architect: Hart & Waterhouse Published in The Building News, July 2 1919: “This is a house erected during the war, being contrived to save labour, and everything kept very simple. The site was...

05 June 2011

1919 – “The Stone & Faggot” Inn, Little Yeldham, Essex

Architect: Basil Oliver Closed as a public house, and converted into a private residence. In the village bakery in the 18th century, faggots of sticks were used to heat stones on which bread...