Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Oxfordshire

15 April 2012

1878 – Church, Caversham, Oxfordshire

Architect: Morris & Stallwood A largely 15th-century church before the addition of a three stage tower and south aisle by Morris & Stallwood in 1878. Published in The Building News, march 8 1878.

08 July 2009

1878 – Interior of Heythrop Hall, Oxfordshire

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse

08 July 2009

1878 – Kingston Church, Oxfordshire

Architect: Aston Webb

08 July 2009

1878 – St. Frideswide, Osney, Oxfordshire

Architect: Harry G.W. Drinkwater From The Building News, September 6 1878: “The illustration shows the proposed design for the completion of the tower of this church, which was built some few years since...

08 July 2009

1879 – Interior of Large Hall, Examination Schools, Oxford

Architect: T.G. Jackson The Examination Schools were designed by Thomas Graham Jackson and were completed in 1882. They were Jackson’s first major commission and set the scene for his transformation of Oxford’s academic...

08 July 2009

1880 – Brigade Depot, Oxford, Oxfordshire

Architect: E. Ingress Bell Keep & Entrance Gates published in The Building News, November 19th 1880. “It comprises the guard-room and accessories, and the store for arms and accoutrements. It is a type...

02 September 2010

1880 – City of Oxford High School for Boys, George Street, Oxford

Architect: T.G. Jackson Illustration published in The Building News, June 13th 1880. The Oxford Chronicle for 11 October 1879 gives the following full description of the proposed school: “This building, which is about...

28 September 2009

1880 – New Boat House, Oxford, Oxfordshire

Architect: John Oldrid Scott “The boat- house is now being built for the Oxford University Boat Club by Mr. Silver, of Maiden- head. The lower story consists of the boat-house proper, about 70ft....

08 July 2009

1880 – New Schools, Tetsworth, Oxfordshire

Architect: Arthur Vernon Perspective view & ground plan as published in The Building News, May 7th 1880.

12 June 2012

1880 – Post Office, St. Aldate’s, Oxford

Architect: E.G. Rivers Still in use as a post office today, but sympathetically extended in the early 20th century, the building as designed is still visible. During the extension, the projecting part of...