Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of South East England

08 July 2009

1860 – Oxford University Museum, Oxfordshire

Architect: Deane & Woodward The neo-Gothic building, one of the finest in Britain, was designed by the Irish architects Thomas Newenham Deane and Benjamin Woodward. Directly influenced by the writings of critic John...

20 December 2012

1860 – Stratton Audley Park, Oxfordshire

Architect: T. Roger Smith This building, of which we give an Illustration, is now in course of erection at Stratton Audley, near Bicester, in Oxfordshire, and is rapidly approaching completion. It stands on...

16 March 2013

1861 – Wexham Lodge, Buckinghamshire

Architect: John Barnett From The Building News, January 18 1861: “THE engraving presents a view of an Elizabethan mansion, from tho designs of Mr. John Barnett, architect, now completing for Joseph Grote, Esq.,...

11 March 2011

1862 – Church of SS. Phillip & James, Oxford

Architect: George Edmund Street Construction began on May 1, 1860, with the laying of the foundation stone by Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Oxford. The church was designed by G.E. Street, the Diocesan architect,...

03 March 2011

1862 – The Colquhoun Mortuary Chapel, Woking, Surrey

Architect: John Johnson “The Mortuary Chapel illustrated in the accompanying plate is built entirely of Bath stone; the roof is of stone, carried on arches. Internally the sides are divided into compartments by...

24 June 2010

1863 – Dunsdale, Westerham, Kent

Architect: Prof. Kerr “Dunsdale is the residence of Mr. Joseph Kitchin, and is situate close to the village of Westerham, in Kent. The house occupies a picturesque eminence, surrounded by pleasure grounds of...

25 June 2010

1863 – Parsonage, Chadlington, Oxfordshire

“This house, which has just been completed, has been built by the late Mr. J. H. Langston, M.P. for the city of Oxford, of Saraden House, near Chipping Norton. The village is a...

25 June 2010

1864 – Clarence Hotel, Dover, Kent

Building commenced in 1864 at a cost of £750,000. It was renamed the “Imperial Hotel” in 1867 when the lease changed hands. It reached five storeys high and boasted 240 rooms. Never a...

23 April 2014

1865 – Meadow Buildings, Christ Church College, Oxford

Architect: Thomas Newenham Deane In 1862-65 Meadow Buildings, a Venetian Gothic construction by T.N. Deane, was erected to accommodate on site more of the undergraduates. Originally, college undergraduates would be given a suite...