Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of South East England

20 July 2010

1866 – Bignell House, Chesterton, Oxfordshire

Architect: William Wilkinson Designed by architect William Wilkinson it took six years to construct and was completed in 1866 at a cost of £5,500. Sadly, only the nursery wing, which was added to...

28 January 2013

1866 – St Mary, Itchen Stoke, Hampshire

Architect: Henry Conybeare The architect of the new church, the second on the site, was the rector Charles Conybeare’s younger brother Henry Conybeare, a civil engineer with an interest in Gothic architecture, who...

05 September 2012

1866 – The Hampshire Bank, Southampton

Architect: R. Critchlow “Compared with the number of banks recently opened in London the provinces cannot be said to have done much in this kind of building, and perhaps it is all the...

15 September 2010

1867 – Church of St. Saviour, Eastbourne, Sussex

Architect: George Edmund Street By the middle of the nineteenth century, Eastbourne was a growing town noted for its healthy climate. The railway had arrived in 1849 and an increasing number of people...

31 March 2013

1867 – Croydon Water Tower, Surrey

Architect: Baldwin Latham From The Building News: “Croydon water tower, which we illustrate this week, was erected in 1867, from designs by Mr. Baldwin Latham, C.E., engineer to the Croydon local board, by...

16 March 2012

1868 – Convent of St. Margaret, East Grinstead, Sussex

Architect: George Edmund Street The Sisters of St Margaret, an order of women in the Anglican Church, were founded in 1855 by Dr John Mason Neale at Rotherfield, England. As their numbers increased,...

24 January 2013

1868 – House at Sevenoaks, Kent

Architect: John Johnson From The Building News: “THIS house, of which we give perspective and plans, has been erected, under the superintendence of Mr. John Johnson, architect, Moor- gate-street, City, by Mr. D....

16 March 2013

1868 – Leyes Wood, Sussex

Architect: Richard Norman Shaw Designed as a mansion for James W. Temple. A fantastic victorian confection of brick, gables and chimneys, displaying a knowledge of tradition building forms, it is designed as a...

16 March 2013

1868 – Lythe Hill, Haslemere, Surrey

Architect: Frederick Pepys Cockerell During 1957 this house was taken over by the Admiralty for use by the staff of Commodore Naval Drafting and was named HMS Centurion. The Royal Navy moved from...