Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Bavaria

13 January 2010

1450 – Illertor, Kempten, Bavaria

Now a freestanding tower near the river Iller, the Illertor was once a gateway into the Aldstadt through the city walls. Of the other towers, only streetnames remind us of their existance.

13 January 2010

1474 – Rathaus, Kempten, Bavaria

The Rathaus or Townhall has a fine if unusual principal facade which faces onto the Rathausplatz. Bounded on all sides by streets, the Rathaus once had an arcaded ground floor perhaps for use...

19 January 2010

1477 – St Lorenz Kirche, Nuremberg, Bavaria

Begun in 1270, St Lorenz Kirche took more than 200 years to complete. An important part of the Nuremberg skyline, its twin spires flank the main west doorway. The doorway sculptures depict the...

07 May 2013

1480 – Sebalder Chörlein, Nuremberg, Bavaria

Chörlein are projections on the first floor of a house – Oriel windows. Before the Second World War, about 450 Chörlein adorned the houses of the city. The bombing destroyed 350 of them,...

19 January 2010

1480 – St Sebaldus Kirche, Nuremberg, Bavaria

Consecrated in 1273, this church is an excellent example of the transition from Romanesque to German Gothic styles. Originally built as a Romanesque basilica with two choirs, it was re-modeled during the 14th...

19 January 2010

1502 – Mauthalle, Nuremberg, Bavaria

Architect: Hans Beheim In times of war or siege, walled cities needed food supplies. This was one of seven large granaries in the Aldstadt in Nuremberg. It also housed the city’s municipal scales...

25 April 2013

1576 – Alte Hofhaltung, Bamberg, Bavaria

The Alte Hofhaltung or Alte Residenz in Bamberg was built as the Bishop’s palace in 1571-76. Replaced by the Neue Residenz in 1704. The structure contains fragments of masonry from the great hall...

23 March 2013

1596 – Fembo House City Museum, Nuremberg, Bavaria

Constructed between 1591 and 1596, Nuremberg’s only surviving large late Renaissance merchant’s house has been serving as a municipal museum since 1953. It offers an insight into the life of a wealthy Nuremberg...

25 April 2013

1617 – Michaelsberg Abbey, Bamberg, Bavaria

Architect: Leonhard Dientzenhofer, J.L. Dientzenhofer After its dissolution in 1803 the buildings were used for the almshouse Vereinigte Katharinen- und Elisabethen-Spital, which is still there as an old people’s home. The former abbey...