Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Bavaria

13 January 2010

1663 – St. Magnus Kirche, Lenzfried, Kempten, Bavaria

A simple church exterior masks an elaborate Baroque interior. The design of the church is straightforward, a single nave, no aisles or transepts, leades to a narrow curved apse. The altars are very...

13 January 2010

1680 – Residenz, Kempten, Bavaria

The former abbot’s residence next to St Lorenz Basilika contains two courtyards, has a small tower at each corner and turns itself inwards on the city. This is probably due to the fact...

24 April 2013

1693 – St. Martin Kirche, Bamberg, Bavaria

Architect: J.L. Dientzenhofer Jesuit church constructed in the late 17th century. Fantastic Baroque interior with various side altars and the main alter contrasting with the largely white walls. The trompe d’oeil dome interior...

25 April 2013

1704 – Neue Residenz, Bamberg, Bavaria

Architect: J.L. Dientzenhofer The Neue Residenz, constructed between 1695-1704 by J.L. Dientzenhofer and considered his greatest work. Intended as a much larger palace for the prince-bishops, superceding the Alte Hofhaltung, the design shows...

19 January 2010

1718 – Egidienkirche, Nuremberg, Bavaria

Built after the fire that ravaged Nuremberg in 1696, the is the only surviving Baroque church in the city. The interior contains remains of the previous church on the site – some small...

25 April 2013

1756 – Rathaus, Bamberg, Bavaria

Architect: J.M. Küchel Constructed on an island on the Obere Brücke, a bridge from completed in 1455, is the Rathaus or City Hall. Rebuilt on the site of an earlier building of 1386,...

13 January 2010

1802 – Zumsteinhaus, Kempten, Bavaria

Like other buildings in Kempten, this substantial bank now a local Museum features architectural detail that is painted onto the facade rather than being plaster stucco or carvings.

19 January 2010

1806 – St Elisabeth Kirche, Nuremberg, Bavaria

A small classical church with large drum and dome, formerly the private chapel of the Teutonic Order Hospice. The building may have been better looking if the drum had been centrally sited. Sited...

13 January 2010

1832 – Hohenschwangau, Bavaria

Architects: Domenico Quaglio, George Friedrich Ziebland, Joseph Daniel Ohlmüller A fortified castle stood on this site from the middle ages but was destroyed during the Tyrolean War. In 1832, the heir to the...

18 April 2013

1845 – Rathaus, Fürth, Bavaria

Architect: Georg Friedrich Christian Bürklein & Eduard Bürklein Constructed inin 1840-50 by Georg Friedrich Christian Bürklein with the help of Eduard Bürklein, both students of Friedrich von Gärtner. The 55metre Italianate tower is...