Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Galway

23 March 2009

1807 – Issercleran, Craughwell, Co. Galway

Architect: Richard Morrison Issercleran or St.Clerans was the home of the Burke family who built the house c.1784, and was extended and remodeled by Morrison circa 1807. Formerly the home of film director...

29 August 2012

1815 – Clifden Castle, Clifden, Co. Galway

Constructed by John D’arcy who constructed the town of Clifden itself. Following his death in 1839, the estate went bankrupt as a result of debts incurred during the Great Famine and in 1850...

16 April 2015

1817 – Lough Cutra Castle, Gort, Co. Galway

Architect: John Nash When the Gort estate was inherited by Colonel Vereker, later Viscount Gort, in 1797, he decided to employ the world renowned architect John Nash to design the Gothic Style building...

21 February 2015

1819 – Garbally Court, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: Thomas Cundy Designed by English architect Thomas Cundy for the Earl of Clancarty.The Diocese purchased the house and estate from the trustees of the Earls of Clancarty for £6,750 in 1922,and it...

22 January 2013

1819 – Salmon Weir Bridge, Galway

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison Previously known as the Jail Bridge, as the city jail was on the site of where the Cathedral now is. A fine gently humped five-span bridge. Attribute to Morrison...

22 January 2013

1820 – Moyode Castle, Athenry, Co. Galway

About 3.5 km east of Athenry, Co. Galway, once the country seat of a wealthy Galway family called Persse, and constructed circa 1820.. The ruins can still be seen today. In the early...

13 January 2012

1821 – St Nicholas’ Pro-Cathedral, Galway

Architect: James Cusack Construction started in 1816 with the church finished and consecrated by 1821.

13 January 2012

1831 – Bank of Ireland, Eyre Square, Galway

Architect: James Cusack Still in use today, with further extension and alterations by Millar & Symes in 1905. Of interest are the facilities accorded to the Branch Manager – he clearly was expected...

15 April 2013

1833 – St Brigid’s Psychiatric Hospital, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: William Murray / James F. Kempster Formerly known as Ballinasloe District Asylum. Originally designed by William Murray, as a “1st class” asylum with accommodation for 150 patients. Later extended by James F....