Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Galway

15 April 2013

1833 – St Brigid’s Psychiatric Hospital, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: William Murray / James F. Kempster Formerly known as Ballinasloe District Asylum. Originally designed by William Murray, as a “1st class” asylum with accommodation for 150 patients. Later extended by James F....

13 January 2013

1836 – Bank of Ireland, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Large branch bank for Bank of Ireland with outbuildings and living accommodation. Still in use today with extensions to the banking hall from the 1920s. Source: Album of surveys of all the branches...

22 January 2013

1842 – St. Patrick’s Church. Forster St., Galway

No longer in use as a parish church, a newer building has been constructed in the grounds alongside. The outline of the building is now much simplified, the ornate and unusual tower has...

15 August 2012

1843 – St. John the Evangelist Church, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: Joseph Welland Erected in 1840 on top of a Norman motte. Designed by the architect Joseph Welland with a fine pinnacled tower. Destroyed by fire in 1899, but restored shortly afterwards.

05 April 2013

1849 – Franciscan Church, Galway, Co. Galway

Architect: James Cusack Started in 1835 and not completed until 1849, in a neo-classical style with a crisp Doric portico. Possibly a remodelling of an earlier church.

15 April 2013

1850 – University College Galway

Architect: John B. Keane Unusual university building, originally built as one of the Queen’s Colleges in Ireland, a fully enclosed quadrangle in a Gothick style. The quad is entered through an archway under...

15 April 2013

1851 – Railway Station, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: George Wilkinson Designed by George Wilkinson for the Midland Great Western Railway in a picturesque Tudor, complete with a variety of tall chimneys and crisp stonework. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith...

21 January 2013

1853 – Great Southern Hotel, Galway

Architect: John Skipton Mulvany Begun 1851, for Midland Great Western Railway Co., and designed by J. S. Mulvany who also designed Ceannt Station to which it is attached. Originally three storeys in height,...

16 August 2012

1858 – St. Michael’s Church, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin Originally was to be designed after a competition by J.J. McCarthy in 1846. The project was abandoned due to the Famine. A revised designed by Augustus Welby Northmore...