Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Galway

14 January 2013

1862 – Lenaboy Castle, Galway

Architect: Samuel Ussher Roberts House built for Captain O’Hara at a reported cost of £3,500 in the Dublin Builder. Later taken over by the Sisters of Mercy and ran as an Industrial School,...

01 May 2013

1863 – Jesuit Church, Galway

Architect: Samuel Ussher Roberts Cruciform gothic church adjacent to the Jesuit College. Designed by Samuel Ussher Roberts, originally the intention was to have the church and school built to designs of J.J. McCarthy....

15 April 2013

1863 – Railway Hotel, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: James F. Kempster Designed by the County Surveyor for the East Riding of Co. Galway – Kempster got the post aged twenty-one and held it for fifty-three years. A small Tudor-Gothic building,...

15 April 2013

1864 – Convent of Mercy Chapel, Society St., Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: James F. Kempster Gothic chapel designed by the County Surveypr for the Sisters of Mercy convent. The spire on the short tower is quite distinctive. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith J....

30 December 2009

1865 – Kylemore Abbey, Co. Galway

Architect: Samuel Ussher Roberts Kylemore Abbey, the home of the Benedictine nuns, stands at the edge of the lake surrounded by woodlands. The gothic castle was built by Mitchell Henry, an English businessman...

05 June 2014

1876 – Royal Marine Hotel, Salthill, Co. Galway

Architect: Edward Townsend Small hotel, with two floors and dormered attic designed by Galway engineer Edward Townsend. Townsend was Professor of Civil Engineering at Queen’s College, Galway for about fifty years.

09 August 2012

1878 – St Mary’s Cathedral, Tuam, Co. Galway

Architect: Thomas Newenham Deane This, the third Cathedral to be built in Tuam, was built on the site of the first cathedral and incorporated a Hiberno-Romanesque arch that remained onsite. The building is...

01 April 2013

1880 – St Raphael’s College, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Former Convent of Mercy complex, now is use as a school. Later wing by W.H. Byrne & Son. The chapel is now in use as school sports hall. Quite a...

10 April 2013

1881 – Chapel, Kylemore, Co. Galway

Architect: J.F. Fuller Memorial chapel commissioned by Mitchell Henry as a family mausoleum upon the death of his wife in 1875. Located on the lake shore some distance from the castle is highly...