Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Galway

01 April 2013

1880 – St Raphael’s College, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Former Convent of Mercy complex, now is use as a school. Later wing by W.H. Byrne & Son. The chapel is now in use as school sports hall. Quite a...

10 April 2013

1881 – Chapel, Kylemore, Co. Galway

Architect: J.F. Fuller Memorial chapel commissioned by Mitchell Henry as a family mausoleum upon the death of his wife in 1875. Located on the lake shore some distance from the castle is highly...

29 November 2010

1881 – High Altar Convent of Mercy, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: Earley and Powells Coloured elevation, side elevation, vertical section and half plan for altarpiece, featuring carved statues of St Patrick and St Bridget in niches at either side. Also includes carved relief...

13 February 2015

1882 – Tulira Castle, Co, Galway

Architect: G.C. Ashlin The Castle comprises three main buildings, a medieval tower, courtyard buildings and the Victorian Castle. The original structure, a medieval tower house, rests on 12th century foundations. A castellated house...

14 January 2013

1893 – Corrib Viaduct, Galway

In the 1890s, the Midland Great Western Railway Company was provided with a government grant of £264,000 to build a line from Galway across Connemara to Clifden. The line was opened to Clifden...

15 April 2013

1899 – Carmelite Abbey, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: W.H. Byrne Church of 1820, by an unknown architect, under the supervision of Fr Gannon, the superior at the time, who also supervised the construction of the monastery and the convent. Renovated...

21 January 2013

1912 – St. Mary’s College, Galway

Architect: William A. Scott Seen here before the addition of the extra storey of 1939 flattened the highly original composition. An abstraction of collegiate gothic into a distinctly early twentieth century style with...

15 April 2013

1931 – Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Creagh, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne Built from fabric of earlier church of c.1850 from Custume Barracks in Athlone, that was dismantled (to be replaced by a new church) and extended by Ralph H. Byrne....

15 April 2013

1938 – St. Colman’s Church, Gort, Co. Galway

Architect: William Hague / Ralph H. Byrne St. Colman’s has been under construction, or at least renovation, for over one hundred years. The original church of 1828 was by either James or George...


Skip to toolbar