Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Mayo

14 March 2014

1777 – Brabazon Park House, Swinford, Co. Mayo

Swinford was established in the late 1700s by the Brabazon family. Originally from Leicestershire in England and had been living on their estate near Ballinasloe in County Galway until they were dispossessed during...

06 October 2012

1785 – Moore Hall, Co. Mayo

Architect: John Roberts Also known as Moorehall, the house was constructed between 1792 and 1795. The Moores were originally an English Protestant family but some became Catholic when John Moore married the Catholic...

30 December 2009

1800c – Church of St. John the Baptist, Knock, Co. Mayo

Knock’s notability derives from the Apparition of 1879, when, at 8.00PM on 21 August, it was reported that the Virgin Mary, together with St Joseph and St John the Evangelist, appeared to local...

17 October 2012

1811 – Castlemacgarrett House, Claremorris, Co. Mayo

After the house of 1694 was destroyed in a fire in 1811, part of the current house was constructed. It was later extended in 1907 by Richard Orpen. There were unexecuted designs from...

29 January 2015

1834 – Prison, Castlebar, Co. Mayo

Architect: Frederick Darley The former Castlebar prison was constructed between 1829 and 1834 at a cost of £23,000. According to Lewis, the gaol had 140 cells containing over 180 prisoners. The prisoners were...

20 March 2010

1838 – Cranmore House, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo

Built in 1838 by Alexander Glendenning Lambert, who was an agent for the Knox family, and had connections with the Glendenning Banking Family. The roof was removed in the 1950s to avoid taxes...

25 March 2012

1838 – St. Joseph’s Church, Ballindine, Co. Mayo

A traditional cruciform churh with nave, transepts and chancel. The statue-topped pinnacles and bell-cote were removed in the early 1950s during a renovation of the building. The sanctuary was re-ordered in 1994.

14 March 2014

1845 – Glendinning Monument, Westport, Co. Mayo

Architect: Charles William Papworth Erected as a testimonial to George Glendenning JP (1770-1843), Agent of the Bank of Ireland (appointed 1826). Substantially damaged during “The Troubles” (1919-23) by Free State troops billeted in...

20 March 2014

1863 – St. Mary’s Church of Ireland, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo

Architect: Welland & Gillespie The church’s current external and internal appearance owes much to the extensive works undertaken by Welland & Gillespie for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. It is typical of the early 19th...


Skip to toolbar