Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Mayo

25 March 2011

1870s – Presbytery, Foxford, Co. Mayo

Old postcard view of the Presbytery in Foxford.

09 July 2013

1872 – Holy Trinity Church, Westport, Co. Mayo

Architect: Thomas Newenham Deane Fine Church of Ireland on site provided by 3rd Marquess of Sligo who also provided £1200 towards cost of erection, replacing church of 1797 on different site. Completed and...

21 March 2014

1875 – Creagh, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo

Architect: Samuel Ussher Roberts Creagh House was built by Colonel Knox in 1875, ‘beautiful manor house to the right of the French chateau lately occupied by his predecessor’ when the footprint of the...

26 March 2013

1877 – Errew Grange, Co. Mayo

Architect: J.F. Fuller By his marriage with an heiress Ellen Farrar, Granville Knox, was able to purchase Errew in Co Mayo. In 1876 he owned 1182 acres in Co Mayo and 1128 acres...

30 December 2009

1881 – Ashford Castle, Cong, Co. Mayo

Architect: J.F. Fuller The architecture of Ashford Castle dates from several eras. The oldest section is a 13th-century Norman castle that once belonged to the de Burgh family. A house styled like a...

27 August 2009

1890 – Breaffy House, Co. Mayo, Ireland

Architect: W.M. Fawcett Dominick Andrew Browne built the present Breaffy House in 1890. The house is a Scottish baronial mansion and is victorian in style and was designed by English architect William M....

29 January 2015

1892 – Railway Station, Newport, Co. Mayo

The first station on the Westport to Achill Sound extension was Newport which opened in February 1894, on completion of a nearby tunnel at the end of Newport Station. It was closed in...

29 January 2015

1892 – Railway Tunnel, Newport, Co. Mayo

The Westport railway line was extended to Achill Sound in the 1890s. and this was one of the so-called ‘Balfour Lines’, called after Arthur J. Balfour, Chief Secretary for Ireland during the years...

25 March 2014

1898 – Humbert Monument, Ballina, Co. Mayo

Architect: Thomas Denning The Centenary memorial, the Humbert Monument, was dedicated on 11 May 1898 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the French landing at Killala in support of the Irish Rebellion of...