Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Connacht

31 December 2009

1862 – Dublin-Sligo Railway Station, Dromod, Co. Leitrim

Architect: George Wilkinson The station for the mainline Dublin-Sligo rail route is a grander affair than the local narrow gauge station but still modest in comparison to stations in the larger Irish towns....

14 January 2013

1862 – Lenaboy Castle, Galway

Architect: Samuel Ussher Roberts House built for Captain O’Hara at a reported cost of £3,500 in the Dublin Builder. Later taken over by the Sisters of Mercy and ran as an Industrial School,...

13 April 2011

1862 – Railway Station, Ballymote, Co. Sligo

Architect: George Wilkinson A variant of Wilkinson’s standard design along this line, Ballymote opened on 3 December 1862.

13 April 2011

1862 – Railway Station, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim

Architect: George Wilkinson Similar in design to Dromod Station on the same line by the same architect, this is a fine solid Victorian railway station, devoid of the architectural frivolities of stations on...

01 May 2013

1863 – Jesuit Church, Galway

Architect: Samuel Ussher Roberts Cruciform gothic church adjacent to the Jesuit College. Designed by Samuel Ussher Roberts, originally the intention was to have the church and school built to designs of J.J. McCarthy....

15 April 2013

1863 – Railway Hotel, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: James F. Kempster Designed by the County Surveyor for the East Riding of Co. Galway – Kempster got the post aged twenty-one and held it for fifty-three years. A small Tudor-Gothic building,...

20 March 2014

1863 – St. Mary’s Church of Ireland, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo

Architect: Welland & Gillespie The church’s current external and internal appearance owes much to the extensive works undertaken by Welland & Gillespie for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. It is typical of the early 19th...

16 August 2012

1864 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Ballymote, Co. Sligo

Architect: George Goldie The first church in Ireland by George Goldie with the foundartion stone laid in October 1859. Construction was delayed by a masons’ strike with the church finally opened in September...

15 April 2013

1864 – Convent of Mercy Chapel, Society St., Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: James F. Kempster Gothic chapel designed by the County Surveypr for the Sisters of Mercy convent. The spire on the short tower is quite distinctive. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith J....


Skip to toolbar