Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Connacht

30 December 2009

1874 – Townhall, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: William Hague Designed by William Hague (who was better known for his churches), Sligo Townhall is a well proportioned building in a Lombardo-Romanesque style. The dominant feature is the central clock tower...

20 November 2013

1875 – Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, John St., Sligo

Architect: George Goldie A massive exercise in a Norman style by English architect George Goldie. With a nave of 275 feet and a massive 200ft tower, it’s Goldie’s most dramatic work in Ireland....

21 March 2014

1875 – Creagh, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo

Architect: Samuel Ussher Roberts Creagh House was built by Colonel Knox in 1875, ‘beautiful manor house to the right of the French chateau lately occupied by his predecessor’ when the footprint of the...

22 October 2010

1876 – Convent of the Sisters of Charity, Ballaghaderreen, Co. Roscommon

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Small gothic revival convent by O`Callaghan with the nuns accommodation separated from the chapel by a small two-stage tower and belfry. Now disused but intact.

05 June 2014

1876 – Royal Marine Hotel, Salthill, Co. Galway

Architect: Edward Townsend Small hotel, with two floors and dormered attic designed by Galway engineer Edward Townsend. Townsend was Professor of Civil Engineering at Queen’s College, Galway for about fifty years.

30 December 2009

1877 – Allied Irish Bank, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: T.M. Deane Originally the Provincial Bank, this branch of AIB is finished with elaborately carved Mountcharles sandstone. Well proportioned, almost square in elevation, the style is vaguely Elizabethan in inspiration.

26 March 2013

1877 – Errew Grange, Co. Mayo

Architect: J.F. Fuller By his marriage with an heiress Ellen Farrar, Granville Knox, was able to purchase Errew in Co Mayo. In 1876 he owned 1182 acres in Co Mayo and 1128 acres...

18 October 2012

1878 – Clonalis House, Castlerea, Co. Roscommon

Architect: F.P. Cockerell Two storey Italianate house designed for Charles O’Conor Don, replacing an earlier residence on Clonalis Estate dating from approximately 1750. This imposing building has 45 rooms and combines elements of...

30 December 2009

1878 – Courthouse, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Rawson Carroll Most large Irish towns have a fine classical courthouse (Carlow, Monaghan, Dundalk), but Sligo’s is a fine Gothic Revival ediface. The design is dominated by the octagonal tower which has...