Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Connacht

05 June 2014

1876 – Royal Marine Hotel, Salthill, Co. Galway

Architect: Edward Townsend Small hotel, with two floors and dormered attic designed by Galway engineer Edward Townsend. Townsend was Professor of Civil Engineering at Queen’s College, Galway for about fifty years.

30 December 2009

1877 – Allied Irish Bank, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: T.M. Deane Originally the Provincial Bank, this branch of AIB is finished with elaborately carved Mountcharles sandstone. Well proportioned, almost square in elevation, the style is vaguely Elizabethan in inspiration.

26 March 2013

1877 – Errew Grange, Co. Mayo

Architect: J.F. Fuller By his marriage with an heiress Ellen Farrar, Granville Knox, was able to purchase Errew in Co Mayo. In 1876 he owned 1182 acres in Co Mayo and 1128 acres...

18 October 2012

1878 – Clonalis House, Castlerea, Co. Roscommon

Architect: F.P. Cockerell Two storey Italianate house designed for Charles O’Conor Don, replacing an earlier residence on Clonalis Estate dating from approximately 1750. This imposing building has 45 rooms and combines elements of...

30 December 2009

1878 – Courthouse, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Rawson Carroll Most large Irish towns have a fine classical courthouse (Carlow, Monaghan, Dundalk), but Sligo’s is a fine Gothic Revival ediface. The design is dominated by the octagonal tower which has...

09 August 2012

1878 – St Mary’s Cathedral, Tuam, Co. Galway

Architect: Thomas Newenham Deane This, the third Cathedral to be built in Tuam, was built on the site of the first cathedral and incorporated a Hiberno-Romanesque arch that remained onsite. The building is...

06 March 2013

1879 – Costello Chapel, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim

One of the smallest chapels in the world at sixteen feet long by twelve foot wide covering a floor area of 192 feet. The Costello Memorial Chapel was erected by Edward Costello to...

01 April 2013

1880 – St Raphael’s College, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Former Convent of Mercy complex, now is use as a school. Later wing by W.H. Byrne & Son. The chapel is now in use as school sports hall. Quite a...

30 December 2009

1881 – Ashford Castle, Cong, Co. Mayo

Architect: J.F. Fuller The architecture of Ashford Castle dates from several eras. The oldest section is a 13th-century Norman castle that once belonged to the de Burgh family. A house styled like a...

Skip to toolbar