Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Connacht

01 April 2013

1880 – St Raphael’s College, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Former Convent of Mercy complex, now is use as a school. Later wing by W.H. Byrne & Son. The chapel is now in use as school sports hall. Quite a...

30 December 2009

1881 – Ashford Castle, Cong, Co. Mayo

Architect: J.F. Fuller The architecture of Ashford Castle dates from several eras. The oldest section is a 13th-century Norman castle that once belonged to the de Burgh family. A house styled like a...

10 April 2013

1881 – Chapel, Kylemore, Co. Galway

Architect: J.F. Fuller Memorial chapel commissioned by Mitchell Henry as a family mausoleum upon the death of his wife in 1875. Located on the lake shore some distance from the castle is highly...

29 November 2010

1881 – High Altar Convent of Mercy, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: Earley and Powells Coloured elevation, side elevation, vertical section and half plan for altarpiece, featuring carved statues of St Patrick and St Bridget in niches at either side. Also includes carved relief...

24 October 2012

1882 – St. Joseph’s Church, Boyle, Co. Roscommon

Architect: Goldie & Child Constructed from 1875-1882. Built in the Gothic style, it had a magnificent pitch pine, hammerbeam roof, and a striking rose stained glass window above the altar. The church was...

13 February 2015

1882 – Tulira Castle, Co, Galway

Architect: G.C. Ashlin The Castle comprises three main buildings, a medieval tower, courtyard buildings and the Victorian Castle. The original structure, a medieval tower house, rests on 12th century foundations. A castellated house...

02 November 2012

1883 – Courthouse, Roscommon, Co. Roscommon

Architect: Christopher J. Mulvany Selected design after an architectural competition to replace County Counthouse that had been destroyed in a fire in 1882.

07 March 2014

1883 – Design for Roscommon Courthouse

Architect: William Kaye-Parry & H.A. Cheers Design submitted for new court house after the previous building was damaged by fire. A joint submission by William Kaye-Parry with English architect Henry A. Cheers, but...

31 December 2009

1887 – Cavan & Leitrim Railway Station, Dromod, Co. Leitrim

Architect: Board of Works A modest station on the local narrow guage railway, this is a fine little Victorian station with attached stationmaster’s house. Originally the Cavan, Leitrim and Roscommon Light Railway and...