Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Connacht

29 January 2015

1892 – Railway Tunnel, Newport, Co. Mayo

The Westport railway line was extended to Achill Sound in the 1890s. and this was one of the so-called ‘Balfour Lines’, called after Arthur J. Balfour, Chief Secretary for Ireland during the years...

14 January 2013

1893 – Corrib Viaduct, Galway

In the 1890s, the Midland Great Western Railway Company was provided with a government grant of £264,000 to build a line from Galway across Connemara to Clifden. The line was opened to Clifden...

30 December 2009

1895 – Gillooly Memorial Hall, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: P.J. Kilgallen Built to commemorate the deceased Bishop Gillooly who was a campaigner against alcohol. The interior is classic victorian – polished mahogany and leaded glass. The exterior is grim and foreboding,...

31 December 2009

1895 – Masonic Hall, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Henry Seaver Designed by Belfast architect Henry Seaver, this distinctive brick Arts and Crafts building, sited on rising land, is a prominent local landmark with a tower with a richly moulded terracotta...

06 November 2012

1895 – Presbytery, Roscommon, Co. Roscommon

Architect: W.H. Byrne Solid late-Victorian house with bay windows on several sides, and rather awkward decorative pediments over paired ground-floor windows..

01 November 2012

1896 – St. Patrick’s Church, Castlerea, Co. Roscommon

Architect: Goldie, Child & Goldie Imposing catholic church from English architect George Goldie, comprising nave, transepts, side aisles with two-storey sacristy to east and four-stage tower to north end of west front. The...

25 March 2014

1898 – Humbert Monument, Ballina, Co. Mayo

Architect: Thomas Denning The Centenary memorial, the Humbert Monument, was dedicated on 11 May 1898 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the French landing at Killala in support of the Irish Rebellion of...

15 April 2013

1899 – Carmelite Abbey, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: W.H. Byrne Church of 1820, by an unknown architect, under the supervision of Fr Gannon, the superior at the time, who also supervised the construction of the monastery and the convent. Renovated...

30 November 1999

1899 – Yeats Memorial Building, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Vincent Craig Originally designed as the Royal Bank by Vincent Craig, brother of the first Prime Minister of Northern Ireland, Lord Craigavon. After the formation of Allied Irish Bank, it was donated...


Skip to toolbar