Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Connacht

30 December 2009

1469 – Burrishoole Abbey, Newport, Co. Mayo

Burrishoole Abbey was founded in 1469 by Sir Richard De Burgo. Set against the tranquil backdrop of Clew Bay, this Dominican Abbey was active for three hundred years and featured prominently in the...

30 December 2009

1520 – Dunguaire Castle, Kinvara, Co. Galway

Dunguaire Castle, the principal towerhouse of the O’hEidhin clan, is located to the east of the village. This towerhouse is believed to have been built on or close to the site of RĂ¡th...

30 December 2009

1550c – Rockfleet Castle, Newport, Co. Mayo

Rockfleet Castle or Carraigahowley Castle (Carraig-an-Cabhlaigh), is a tower house near Newport. It was built in the mid 16th century, and is most famously associated with the legendary Grainne ni Mhaille, Grace O’Malley,...

30 December 2009

1572 – Aughnanure Castle, Oughterard, Co. Galway

The castle was built by the O’Flahertys in the 16th century, one of Connacht’s most notable lord families. Aughnanure is one of over 200 tower houses in County Galway, constructed mainly by Gaelic...

28 November 2012

15th C. – Clonshanville Abbey, Co.Roscommon

Probably founded early to mid 15th century. According to the Dominican Provincial reports, there were two friars here in 1702, five in 1756 and three in 1767, of whom one was parish priest....

26 June 2014

1603 – St. Augustine’s Fort, Galway

Work began on the Augustinian foundation in Galway in the early 1500s. Located outside the city walls, the lands were seized in 1546 following the dissolution of the monasteries. In 1601, Sir Josias...

24 August 2010

1610 – Portumna Castle, Co. Galway

A semi-fortified house that was built before 1618 by Richard de Burgo, the 4th Earl of Clanricarde. It was the main seat of the de Burgo family for over 200 years, until it...

13 January 2013

1639 – Tholsel, Galway

Demolished around 1822, construction started in 1639.

23 April 2015

1660s – Eyrecourt Castle, Co. Galway

Eyrecourt was built by Colonel John Eyre around 1660. Eyre had arrived in Ireland during the Cromwellian Wars and was granted large tracts of land in East Galway for his service to Cromwell....