Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Connacht

19 March 2012

1810 – Rockingham, Boyle, Co. Roscommon

Architect: John Nash Originally built as a two storey house for General Robert King by John Nash. In 1822 an extra floor was added and after a fire in the 1860s it was...

16 April 2015

1810 – Rockingham, Boyle, Co. Roscommon

Architect: John Nash Originally built as a two storey house for General Robert King by John Nash. Considered on of Nash’s finest Classical work in Ireland, it used motifs from previous work in...

17 October 2012

1811 – Castlemacgarrett House, Claremorris, Co. Mayo

After the house of 1694 was destroyed in a fire in 1811, part of the current house was constructed. It was later extended in 1907 by Richard Orpen. There were unexecuted designs from...

15 April 2013

1814 – Barrack Block, Tete-De-Pont, Shannonbridge, Co. Roscommon

Tete-de-pont or bridge defences which were constructed during the Napoleonic Wars. The defences were designed to delay a military force approaching from the west from crossing the River Shannon to the eastern side....

29 August 2012

1815 – Clifden Castle, Clifden, Co. Galway

Constructed by John D’arcy who constructed the town of Clifden itself. Following his death in 1839, the estate went bankrupt as a result of debts incurred during the Great Famine and in 1850...

16 April 2015

1817 – Lough Cutra Castle, Gort, Co. Galway

Architect: John Nash When the Gort estate was inherited by Colonel Vereker, later Viscount Gort, in 1797, he decided to employ the world renowned architect John Nash to design the Gothic Style building...

26 September 2014

1818 – Former Prison, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Designed to hold 200 inmates in a polygon-shaped building, with six-bay two-storey facets and six-bay three-storey terminal block to south. The Governor’s residence situated in the centre of the prison. Construction of the...

21 February 2015

1819 – Garbally Court, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: Thomas Cundy Designed by English architect Thomas Cundy for the Earl of Clancarty.The Diocese purchased the house and estate from the trustees of the Earls of Clancarty for £6,750 in 1922,and it...

22 January 2013

1819 – Salmon Weir Bridge, Galway

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison Previously known as the Jail Bridge, as the city jail was on the site of where the Cathedral now is. A fine gently humped five-span bridge. Attribute to Morrison...