Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Connacht

28 August 2012

1830 – St. Nathy’s College, Ballaghaderreen, Co. Roscommon

St. Nathy’s complex, comprises a school, former barracks and gate lodge. Now used as a school. Detached fourteen-bay three-storey former barracks, established c.1830, with five-bay breakfront with stepped parapet and two-storey gable fronted...

13 January 2012

1831 – Bank of Ireland, Eyre Square, Galway

Architect: James Cusack Still in use today, with further extension and alterations by Millar & Symes in 1905. Of interest are the facilities accorded to the Branch Manager – he clearly was expected...

15 April 2013

1833 – St Brigid’s Psychiatric Hospital, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: William Murray / James F. Kempster Formerly known as Ballinasloe District Asylum. Originally designed by William Murray, as a “1st class” asylum with accommodation for 150 patients. Later extended by James F....

29 January 2015

1834 – Prison, Castlebar, Co. Mayo

Architect: Frederick Darley The former Castlebar prison was constructed between 1829 and 1834 at a cost of £23,000. According to Lewis, the gaol had 140 cells containing over 180 prisoners. The prisoners were...

13 January 2013

1836 – Bank of Ireland, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Large branch bank for Bank of Ireland with outbuildings and living accommodation. Still in use today with extensions to the banking hall from the 1920s. Source: Album of surveys of all the branches...

20 March 2010

1838 – Cranmore House, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo

Built in 1838 by Alexander Glendenning Lambert, who was an agent for the Knox family, and had connections with the Glendenning Banking Family. The roof was removed in the 1950s to avoid taxes...

25 March 2012

1838 – St. Joseph’s Church, Ballindine, Co. Mayo

A traditional cruciform churh with nave, transepts and chancel. The statue-topped pinnacles and bell-cote were removed in the early 1950s during a renovation of the building. The sanctuary was re-ordered in 1994.

05 November 2012

1842 – Seafield, Co. Sligo

Architect: George Papworth Also known as Lisheen, and now almost completely ruined. Reputed to be haunted, the house was abandoned in the 1920s after repeated attempts to rid the house of its presence...

22 January 2013

1842 – St. Patrick’s Church. Forster St., Galway

No longer in use as a parish church, a newer building has been constructed in the grounds alongside. The outline of the building is now much simplified, the ornate and unusual tower has...