Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Connacht

20 March 2010

1838 – Cranmore House, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo

Built in 1838 by Alexander Glendenning Lambert, who was an agent for the Knox family, and had connections with the Glendenning Banking Family. The roof was removed in the 1950s to avoid taxes...

25 March 2012

1838 – St. Joseph’s Church, Ballindine, Co. Mayo

A traditional cruciform churh with nave, transepts and chancel. The statue-topped pinnacles and bell-cote were removed in the early 1950s during a renovation of the building. The sanctuary was re-ordered in 1994.

05 November 2012

1842 – Seafield, Co. Sligo

Architect: George Papworth Also known as Lisheen, and now almost completely ruined. Reputed to be haunted, the house was abandoned in the 1920s after repeated attempts to rid the house of its presence...

22 January 2013

1842 – St. Patrick’s Church. Forster St., Galway

No longer in use as a parish church, a newer building has been constructed in the grounds alongside. The outline of the building is now much simplified, the ornate and unusual tower has...

15 August 2012

1843 – St. John the Evangelist Church, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: Joseph Welland Erected in 1840 on top of a Norman motte. Designed by the architect Joseph Welland with a fine pinnacled tower. Destroyed by fire in 1899, but restored shortly afterwards.

14 March 2014

1845 – Glendinning Monument, Westport, Co. Mayo

Architect: Charles William Papworth Erected as a testimonial to George Glendenning JP (1770-1843), Agent of the Bank of Ireland (appointed 1826). Substantially damaged during “The Troubles” (1919-23) by Free State troops billeted in...

09 July 2011

1848 – Dominican Friary, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: John Benson / G.C. Ashlin Church constructed between 1845-48 replacing an earlier church of 1763. A tower was added several years later. G.C. Ashlin added chancel decoration including mosaics and altar railing...

05 April 2013

1849 – Franciscan Church, Galway, Co. Galway

Architect: James Cusack Started in 1835 and not completed until 1849, in a neo-classical style with a crisp Doric portico. Possibly a remodelling of an earlier church.

30 December 2009

1850 – Railway Station, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: John Skipton Mulvany Built in the early 1850s by John Skipton Mulvany, the architect of the sublime Broadstone station in Dublin, the station was burned out during the Irish Civil War. This...