Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Connacht

13 January 2015

1850 – Seaweed Baths, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo

Unusual building, formerly a Seaweed Baths, and now increasingly derelict. One of the corner turrets is now gone.

15 April 2013

1850 – University College Galway

Architect: John B. Keane Unusual university building, originally built as one of the Queen’s Colleges in Ireland, a fully enclosed quadrangle in a Gothick style. The quad is entered through an archway under...

30 December 2009

1851 – Library, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architects: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon Designed by Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon as a small Gothic Revival church in 1851, it was converted in 1954 into a Library. The former manse of 1867 is...

15 April 2013

1851 – Railway Station, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: George Wilkinson Designed by George Wilkinson for the Midland Great Western Railway in a picturesque Tudor, complete with a variety of tall chimneys and crisp stonework. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith...

30 December 2009

1852 – Hyde Bridge, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Sir John Benson This is the main bridge in Sligo and was built between 1848-53 by local architect and engineer Sir John Benson. Originally it was dedicated to Queen Victoria but has...

21 January 2013

1853 – Great Southern Hotel, Galway

Architect: John Skipton Mulvany Begun 1851, for Midland Great Western Railway Co., and designed by J. S. Mulvany who also designed Ceannt Station to which it is attached. Originally three storeys in height,...

16 August 2012

1858 – St. Michael’s Church, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin Originally was to be designed after a competition by J.J. McCarthy in 1846. The project was abandoned due to the Famine. A revised designed by Augustus Welby Northmore...

13 April 2012

1858 – Woodlawn Railway Station, Co. Galway

Architect: George Willoughby Hemans Sited on the main Iarnr√≥d √Čireann Intercity line from Dublin to Galway, situated between Ballinasloe and Attymon halt stations. Woodlawn railway station opened on 1 August 1858 and was...

12 June 2013

1860 – Signal Box, Knockcroghery, Co. Roscommon

Knockcroghery railway station opened on 13 February 1860 and closed on 17 June 1963.

Skip to toolbar