Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Sligo

30 December 2009

1852 – Hyde Bridge, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Sir John Benson This is the main bridge in Sligo and was built between 1848-53 by local architect and engineer Sir John Benson. Originally it was dedicated to Queen Victoria but has...

13 April 2011

1862 – Railway Station, Ballymote, Co. Sligo

Architect: George Wilkinson A variant of Wilkinson’s standard design along this line, Ballymote opened on 3 December 1862.

16 August 2012

1864 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Ballymote, Co. Sligo

Architect: George Goldie The first church in Ireland by George Goldie with the foundartion stone laid in October 1859. Construction was delayed by a masons’ strike with the church finally opened in September...

30 December 2009

1874 – Townhall, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: William Hague Designed by William Hague (who was better known for his churches), Sligo Townhall is a well proportioned building in a Lombardo-Romanesque style. The dominant feature is the central clock tower...

20 November 2013

1875 – Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, John St., Sligo

Architect: George Goldie A massive exercise in a Norman style by English architect George Goldie. With a nave of 275 feet and a massive 200ft tower, it’s Goldie’s most dramatic work in Ireland....

01 October 2015

1875 – Classiebawn, Mullaghmore, Co. Sligo

Architect: J. Rawson Carroll Designed in the Baronial style by J. Rawson Carroll, a Dublin-based, but Scottish, architect, and is constructed of local stone with Mountcharles stone dressings brought by sea from County...

30 December 2009

1877 – Allied Irish Bank, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: T.M. Deane Originally the Provincial Bank, this branch of AIB is finished with elaborately carved Mountcharles sandstone. Well proportioned, almost square in elevation, the style is vaguely Elizabethan in inspiration.

30 December 2009

1878 – Courthouse, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Rawson Carroll Most large Irish towns have a fine classical courthouse (Carlow, Monaghan, Dundalk), but Sligo’s is a fine Gothic Revival ediface. The design is dominated by the octagonal tower which has...

30 December 2009

1895 – Gillooly Memorial Hall, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: P.J. Kilgallen Built to commemorate the deceased Bishop Gillooly who was a campaigner against alcohol. The interior is classic victorian – polished mahogany and leaded glass. The exterior is grim and foreboding,...