Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

17 August 2015

1780s – Glydecourt, Tallinstown, Co. Louth

A very long seventeen-bay two-storey house with attic, built c. 1780, later remodeled and extended. Originally built as a Georgian house, the house was remodeled around 1868 with curvilinear gables and gablets, and...

23 March 2015

1781 – Former Bishop’s Palace, Dromore, Co. Down

Described as “a fine, three-storey, late 18th century block, built in 1781 by the Rt Rev and Hon William Beresford, Lord Bishop of Dromore, afterwards Lord Bishop of Ossory; later Lord Archbishop of...

12 February 2015

1785 – Castleton House, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Also known as Jennymount, the residence of the Thomson family, prominent local merchants and bankers. Demolished to make way for the Mountcollyer and Crosscollyer streets in the 1890s.

06 October 2012

1785 – Moore Hall, Co. Mayo

Architect: John Roberts Also known as Moorehall, the house was constructed between 1792 and 1795. The Moores were originally an English Protestant family but some became Catholic when John Moore married the Catholic...

17 August 2015

1785 – Stephenstown House, Co. Louth

Built in 1785 by Matthew Fortescue for his new bride Marian McClintock. A square Georgian house of 2 storeys over a basement 5 bays long and 5 bays deep. Extended in 1820 by...

06 January 2012

1785 – White Linen Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Roger Mulholland Large building with enclosed square for the selling of what was then Belfast’s most important product. Three relatively unadorned facades, with a central tower dominating the primary frontage. Demolished in...

01 March 2013

1786 – Simpson’s Hospital, Parnell St., Dublin

Architect: Simon Vierpyl Simpson’s Hospital was founded in 1779 under the terms of a Mr George Simpson’s will, a Dublin merchant who left bequests to many charities including funds to establish Simpson’s Hospital....

27 February 2014

1789 – City Gaol and County Court House, Merchant’s Quay, Limerick

Architect: William Blackburn Demolished in 1988 to facilitate the construction of the new City Council headquarters. Blackburn was a London architect and pioneer of radial planning in prison design. According to Lewis, “The...

22 November 2011

1790 – Daly’s Club House, College Green, Dublin

Architect: Francis Johnston Elevation of Daly’s Club House, College Green, 1823 Wide Street Commission Map 445/2. Part of the facade still remains. Daly’s Club House, was a gentlemen’s club and a centre of...


Skip to toolbar