Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

14 December 2011

1821 – Theatre Royal, Hawkins St., Dublin

Architect: Samuel Beazley The first of three Theatre Royals on this site. In 1820, theatre impresario Henry Harris bought a site in Hawkins Street and built the 2,000–seater Albany New Theatre on it...

19 March 2012

1823 – Mitchelstown Castle, Mitchelstown, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain & George Pain In 1823, after his succession to his title, George, 3rd Earl of Kingston, demolished the previous Palladian house and replaced it with a new castle designed by...

23 March 2012

1823 – Ormeau House, Co. Down

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison A long rambling Tudor mansion designed for the 2nd Marquess of Donegall on the then outskirts of Belfast, who was in exile from his creditors in England. Originally a...

06 February 2013

1824 – Old Town Chapel, Park Street, Monaghan

Replaced by William Hague’s church, which was constructed alongside, this simple church with gothic windows to the street was demolished in teh early 20th century.

09 January 2012

1824 – Royal Hibernian Academy, Lower Abbey St., Dublin

Architect: Francis Johnston Francis Johnston, in his retirement, funded and designed this building for the Royal Hibernian Academy. The building had keystones on the ground floor by John Smyth representing Palladio, Michaelangelo and...

08 November 2012

1825 – Convamore House, Ballyhooly, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain Large classical house built on an elevated site overlooking the River Blackwater, constructed for the 1st Earl of Listowel. It remained the Irish seat of the family until it was...

06 December 2013

1825 – Purdysburn House, Newtownbreda, Co. Down

Architect: Thomas Hopper Described simple as “Purdysburn, the splendid mansion of Narcissus Batt, Esq., built after a design by Hopper” in Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837). When two of the...

20 September 2012

1826 – Home’s Hotel, Usher’s Quay, Dublin

Home’s Hotel was opened by Scotsman George Home in 1826 but it only remained open for a few years. It’s fine Doric columned portico was a landmark on the quays. By 1840 it...

23 November 2012

1826 – St. Peter’s Chapel & Free School, Phibsborough, Dublin

An early description of the church and school which opened in 1826: ‘St. Peter’s chapel stands at the divergence of the New Cabra Avenue, and the beautiful and fashionable ride to Phoenix Park,...