Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

20 September 2012

1826 – Home’s Hotel, Usher’s Quay, Dublin

Home’s Hotel was opened by Scotsman George Home in 1826 but it only remained open for a few years. It’s fine Doric columned portico was a landmark on the quays. By 1840 it...

23 November 2012

1826 – St. Peter’s Chapel & Free School, Phibsborough, Dublin

An early description of the church and school which opened in 1826: ‘St. Peter’s chapel stands at the divergence of the New Cabra Avenue, and the beautiful and fashionable ride to Phoenix Park,...

27 October 2011

1827 – Kenure House, Rush, Co. Dublin

Architect: George Papworth Rebuilt in 1827 on the site of an earlier house, destroyed by fire. In 1964 the contents of Kenure House were auctioned, and the estate, which was also known as...

13 February 2015

1827 – Meetinghouse, Fisherwick Place, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Thomas Duff Opened 20 Sep 1827. Demolished to make way for Presbyterian Assembly building. Described in The Dublin Penny Journal, Views in Belfast (1833), as “Erected in the year 1827-28, is built...

29 October 2012

1828 – Clarina Castle, Clarina. Co. Limerick

Architect: James Pain & George Pain Also known as Elm Park. Designed by the Pains, for 3rd Baron Clarina, in the late 1820s with further work by Rawson Carroll in the 1880s. Demolished...

08 October 2013

1828 – Governor Walker’s Monument, Derry

Architect: John Henry The former Walker’s Pillar was a memorial to Rev. George Walker, the rector of Donaghmore, Co. Tyrone, who came to Derry prior to the Siege of 1688-89. He was quickly...

28 November 2012

1829 – Drum Manor, Kildress, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William Hastings Rebuilt in 1829 by Major Richardson Brady in a heavily symmetrical and very flat “Regency Baronial” style. Later extended and romanticised by William Hastings who added a four storey tower,...

12 February 2015

1829 – Belfast Savings’ Bank, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Smith Bank constructed around 1829 for the Belfast Savings Bank Co. Demolished 1941.

14 October 2012

1829 – Drumbanagher House, Poyntzpass, Co. Armagh

Architect: William Playfair Drumbanagher House was a very large, Italianate mansion by William Playfair built for Lieutenant-Colonel Maxwell Close, who was the brother-in-law of 1st Lord Lurgan. Described as being “one of his...