Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

25 March 2013

1358 – Long Choir, Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin

During the 1350s a major extension to the cathedral was undertaken by John de St Paul, Archbishop of Dublin. By 1358, the nave of the cathedral was partly in use for secular purposes...

03 February 2012

14th C. – Merrion Castle, Co. Dublin

Merrion Castle was a medieval castle situated in present day Mount Merrion. Built in the early fourteenth century, it was from the sixteenth to the early eighteenth century the principal seat of Viscount...

05 March 2014

1570 – The Wooden House, Drogheda, Co. Louth

The Wooden House, Drogheda; erected 1570 by Nicholas Bathe at the junction of Laurence and Shop streets; taken down 1824. From The Dublin Penny Journal, September 15 1832: “It occupied the angle formed...

19 September 2012

15th C. – Brown’s Castle, Dublin

Approximately where Cornmarket is now, Brown’s Castle was better known as the Black Dog prison. The castle became a tavern from which the prison got its name. From the early 18th century the...

17 February 2015

1600s – Blayney Castle, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan

The area of Muckno and Ballynalurgan was granted to Sir Edward Blayney under the Plantation of Ulster in 1607 and 1611. Blayney was a Welsh soldier, and built a stone defensive castle, Blayney...

26 June 2014

1603 – St. Augustine’s Fort, Galway

Work began on the Augustinian foundation in Galway in the early 1500s. Located outside the city walls, the lands were seized in 1546 following the dissolution of the monasteries. In 1601, Sir Josias...

11 February 2015

1610 – Belfast Castle, Belfast, Co. Antrim

John de Courcy built a castle on what is now Castle Street in the city centre in the 12th century. By the early 17th century when Sir Arthur Chichester, from Devonshire, was granted...

30 November 2012

1619 – Castle Caldwell, Co. Fermanagh

Castle Caldwell was built between 1612 and 1619, during the time of the Plantation of Ulster, by the Blennerhassetts, in classic Planter style; a bawn with 2 semi-circular projecting flanker towers and a...

29 October 2012

1620s – Charlemont Fort, Co. Armagh

Charlemont Fort was a garrison built in Charlemont in 1602 by Lord Mountjoy. It was destroyed in 1920 by fire and the only building remaining today is the gatehouse. The 17th century governor’s...