Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

07 June 2013

1849 – Mayfield House, Portlaw, Co. Waterford

Architect: William Tinsley / John Skipton Mulvany Detached seven-bay three-storey over basement Italianate house incorporating fabric of earlier house constructed for the Malcomson family, whose cotton mills were nearby. Originally designed by William...

12 March 2014

1849 – Royal Triumphal Archway, Anglesea Bridge, Cork

Decorative archway built to welcome Queen Victoria to Cork. Similar archways were built in Belfast and Dublin to mark this and subsequent Royal visits. All were temporary structures.

29 March 2012

1849 – Royal Triumphal Archway, Baggot Street, Dublin

Architect: Royal triumphal archway constructed at Baggot Street bridge over the Grand Canal, for the occasion of Queen Victoria’s visit to Dublin in 1849. “The Queen, after having received a deputation of the...

29 March 2012

1849 – Royal Triumphal Archway, High St., Belfast

Architect: Thirty-two foot tall triumphal archway constructed for the visit of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert to Belfast in 1849. Supposedly the words Cead Mile Failte were inscribed on the reverse side to...

30 September 2014

1850s – Balloon House, Drumlargan, Co. Meath

One of a pair of similarly eccentric gate lodges built for Summerhill House. According to local legend, “An architect was asked to design two gate-lodges to be placed at the end of the...

03 February 2014

1850s – Fire Station No.2, Whitehorse Yard, Winetavern St., Dublin

Probably the remains of the early Dublin Fire Brigade – Station No.2. Station No.1 being their headquarters on South William St. The first ‘fire station’ was in Whitehorse Yard off Winetavern Street which...

04 February 2014

1850s – Jurys Commercial & Family Hotel, College Green, Dublin

Architect: E.H. Carson William Jurys, a former commercial traveler, set up an inn catering to the commercial sector on Dublin’s College Green in 1839. The inn grew and by mid-century had become known...

11 September 2013

1852 – Clarence Hotel, Wellington Quay, Dublin

Former incarnation of the Clarence Hotel, later replaced in the late 1930s. Originally a couple of quayside houses, knocked together and some facade stucco decoration to to form the hotel.

01 December 2011

1852 – National Exhibition, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson The National Exhibition was housed in a cruciform building, with four ‘transepts’, specially designed and erected at the Corn Exchange on Albert Quay, the site of the present City...