Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

01 December 2011

1852 – National Exhibition, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson The National Exhibition was housed in a cruciform building, with four ‘transepts’, specially designed and erected at the Corn Exchange on Albert Quay, the site of the present City...

14 December 2012

1853 – W. & R. Jacob & Co.’s Biscuit Factory, Bishop Street, Dublin

The massive factory developed over several years for W. & R. Jacob & Co, who moved their small bakery from Waterford to Dublin. Vacated by Jacobs in 1976, after they moved to a...

18 February 2013

1853 – Clery & Co., O’Connell St., Dublin

Architect: William Caldbeck Opened in May 1853 when Mc Swiney, Delany and Co. opened ‘The New or Palatial Mart’ opposite the General Post Office. In 1883, the premises was taken over and renamed...

09 February 2010

1853 – Great Industrial Exhibition, Dublin

Architect: Sir John Benson The Great Industrial Exhibition in 1853 was the largest international event to be held in Ireland. It lasted from the 12th of May to the 31st of October, and...

07 February 2014

1853 – No. 28 Lower O’Connell St., Dublin

A long galleried shop, probably reminiscent of similar constructed in London at this time. The facade notable for its three-storied window. Destroyed in 1916 Easter Rising. Allen was an orthodox Quaker and although...

16 October 2011

1855 – Ballyedmond Castle, Rostrevor, Co. Down

Architect: Charles Lanyon Ballyedmond Castle was a Tudor-Baronial mansion, with pointed gables, mullioned windows; a battlemented tower and conical-roofed turret. At one stage, the house was being used as a hotel. The original...

08 March 2013

1855 – Cork Opera House (The Athenaeum), Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson / C.J. Phipps The building, originally called ‘The Athenaeum’, was finished by early 1855. It hosted its first performance on 29 January 1855, a concert in aid of the...

05 June 2014

1855 – Railway Station, Coleraine, Co. Derry

Architect: Charles Lanyon Original railway station for the BBCPJR – Ballymena, Ballymoney, Coleraine and Portrush Junction Railway – constructed for the opening of the line in 1855. A second building in a similar...

06 December 2011

1856 – Pim’s Department Store, Sth Great George’s Street, Dublin

Architect: Sandham Symes Large department store demolished in the 1970s to make way for an office building. Designed by Sandham Symes and built in several stages by the Pim family from the mid...