Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

03 January 2013

1622 – Exchange or Market House, Derry

Originally erected by the London Corporation at a cost of over 500 pounds after a decision taken in 1616 that “a market house and a town house should be erected in Derry, by...

23 September 2014

1630s – Inchmore Castle, Co. Kilkenny

“This highly picturesque ruin is situated on the Nore, about four miles from Kilkenny, and derives its name, Inchmore, or the Great Island, from being nearly insulated by that beautiful river. It consists...

13 January 2013

1639 – Tholsel, Galway

Demolished around 1822, construction started in 1639.

06 June 2013

1669 – Crotta House, Kilflynn, Co. Kerry

Architect: Richard Morrison Original house of 1669, owned by the Ponsonby family. Additions of 1819 in a Jacobean style to the existing house by Sir Richard Morrison, who added gables and the curvilinear...

09 December 2011

1682 – Tholsel, Dublin

Architect: The name “Tholsel” is derived from two old English words: “toll”, meaning tax; and “sael”, or hall, the place where tolls were paid. In the middle ages it served as court house,...

28 March 2013

1692 – Carrickblacker House, Portadown, Co. Armagh

The Blacker family, founded an estate at Carrick, on the Portadown–Gilford road. The land had been bought by Colonel Valentine Blacker from Sir Anthony Cope of Loughgall, and became known as Carrickblacker. Their...

03 January 2013

1692 – Exchange, Derry, Co. Derry

Architect: Captain Francis Neville Built to replace the Exchange of 1622, which was largely destroyed during the Siege of Derry. According to the Ordnance survey of the county of Londonderry (1837): “The Town...

17 October 2010

1699 – West Front, Trinity College Dublin

Illustration of the original west front of Trinity College, as illustrated in Charles Brookings map of 1728. Demolished in the 1750s. According to Edward McParland’s Public Architecture in Ireland 1680-1760, the wings were...

23 February 2015

16th C. – Finglaswood House, Finglas, Co. Dublin

Elizabethan house, also known as King James’ Castle. Described in The Neighbourhood of Dublin, in 1912 as: “Due south of Finglas, and situated on the green banks of the Tolka, is the conspicuous...