Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

14 April 2014

1876 – Killynether House, Comber, Co. Down

Architect: Henry Chappell Constructed as part of the Marquis of Londonderry’s estate and extended and remodelled in the early 1870s. Demolished in the 1960s by the National Trust after being used as a...

07 March 2014

1877 – Christian Union Buildings, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: Alfred G. Jones The Christian Union Buildings in Lower Abbey Street were erected on the site of the Metropolitan Hall, formerly the Music Hall. The Metropolitan was a centre of Evangelicalism in...

04 March 2014

1877 – Irish Temperance League, Nos.16-20 Lombard Street, Belfast

Architect: Joseph C. Marsh 4-storey, 3-bay, stucco building constructed to house a temperance café which operated until 1966. The architect Joseph C. Marsh was a Quaker working in Belfast who was hired by...

16 July 2014

1878 – High Altar, SS. Michael & John’s Church, Dublin

Architect: John L. Robinson The former Church of Saints Michael & John was built in 1813. Although the external fabric of the Church of SS. Michael and John still stands, the interior was...

15 October 2012

1878 – Killarney House, Co. Kerry

Architect: George Devey Designed as a replacement for Kenmare House of 1726 as the seat of the Earls of Kenmare. Legend has it that the site was selected by Queen Victoria on her...

21 November 2014

1878 – Olderfleet Hotel, Larne, Co. Antrim

Architect: Samuel Patrick Close Three storey hotel constructed for sea travellers next to the harbour. The interior boasted several large reception rooms. Demolished and replaced with a public house.

08 January 2015

1878 – St. Vincent de Paul Orphanage, Glasnevin, Dublin

Architect: John Sterling Butler / John L. Robinson Opened in 1857, where the apartments in Dalcassian Downs now stand. This had accommodation for 150 boys and also provided school facilities. Known as St...

14 May 2014

1878 – Warehouses, Merchants Quay, Waterford

Architect: Walter G. Doolin “We publish herewith an illustration of a new warehouse about to be erected for Messrs. Power and Co., Merchants-quay, Waterford. The ground storey will be of Bagnalstown granite, Portland...

29 March 2012

1879 – Design for Swing Bridge, Dublin

Architect: Bindon B. Stoney Design published in 1879 for bridge over the Liffey at Beresford Place. Eventually called Butt Bridge, it linked the new Tara Street with Beresford Place. It was replaced in...