Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

19 March 2011

1880 – St. Anne’s, Clontarf, Co. Dublin

Architect: J.F. Fuller Large Italianate mansion designed for the 1st Lord Ardilaun as his Dublin residence. Known for its rich interior, in particular a top-lit two-storey entrance hall. The house and grounds were...

14 April 2014

1880s – Boland’s Bakery, 9 Georges St., Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

One of the Boland’s retail shops around Dublin, this shop on George’s Street was a fine Victorian building, with ornate stucco and shopfront. Boland’s had several bakeries in the city as well as...

08 August 2013

1880s – Castle Erin / Golf Hotel, Portrush, Co. Antrim

Former hotel built between railway line and coast to service Portrush’s links course. Originally called the Hydropathic Hotel but changed its name to the Golf Hotel, and later Castle Erin. It was later...

12 June 2010

1880s – House, Burlington Road, Dublin

Remnant of one of the fine Victorian mansions that once lined Burlington Road. Now repositioned beside the second generation of office blocks that replaced them.

13 January 2014

1880s – Marlborough House, Glasnevin, Dublin

Marlborough House was a large domestic dwelling which had been used as a teacher training college. It was registered as a detention centre for up to 50 boys on 24th March 1944. For...

09 June 2010

1881 – Carrigmahon Villas, Cork

Architect: Kearns Deane Carrigmahon Villas were built in the 1880s in the area between Glenbrook Baths and Tobin’s Quay. In 1913 one of the villas was destroyed by fire and the others were...

26 May 2014

1881 – Ceylon Buildings, 64-66 Victoria St., Belfast

Architect: William Batt Designed for Brown, Corbett & Co. Demolished. “These premises, which will be known as “Ceylon Buildings,” have a frontage of 50ft. and extend back about 60ft. As a timber pond...

09 July 2013

1881 – Theatre Royal, Arthur St., Belfast

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon / C.J. Phipps Originally constructed by Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon in 1871 with carving by the Fitzpatrick Brothers. It was badly damaged by fire in June 1881, reopening...

20 February 2014

1882 – Garfield Chambers & Regent Cinema, Royal Avenue, Belfast

The building, Garfield Chambers was built in 1882 and like many buildings on Royal Avenue, was finished in stucco. Opened in 1911, the Regent was the first Belfast cinema not to have its...