Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

14 May 2014

1875 – St. Mary’s Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Alexander Macalister The design was chosen as a result of an architectural competition. St Mary’s Catholic Hall was used for concerts and dances, and also included a primary school until 1901. It...

12 March 2014

1875 – W.H. Smith & Co., Middle Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: Alfred G. Jones Built at Nos. 79-80 Middle Abbey Street for W.H. Smith whose assets and business in Ireland was eventually taken over by Charles Eason and Son in 1886. Probably a...

03 April 2013

1876 – Great Northern Hotel, Rostrevor, Co. Down

Architect: William J. Watson A large hotel facing Carlingford Lough, with a main frontage of almost 150 feet broken into a central block and two lower wings. Alongside the hotel were the Temperance...

14 April 2014

1876 – Killynether House, Comber, Co. Down

Architect: Henry Chappell Constructed as part of the Marquis of Londonderry’s estate and extended and remodelled in the early 1870s. Demolished in the 1960s by the National Trust after being used as a...

07 March 2014

1877 – Christian Union Buildings, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: Alfred G. Jones The Christian Union Buildings in Lower Abbey Street were erected on the site of the Metropolitan Hall, formerly the Music Hall. The Metropolitan was a centre of Evangelicalism in...

04 March 2014

1877 – Irish Temperance League, Nos.16-20 Lombard Street, Belfast

Architect: Joseph C. Marsh 4-storey, 3-bay, stucco building constructed to house a temperance café which operated until 1966. The architect Joseph C. Marsh was a Quaker working in Belfast who was hired by...

16 July 2014

1878 – High Altar, SS. Michael & John’s Church, Dublin

Architect: John L. Robinson The former Church of Saints Michael & John was built in 1813. Although the external fabric of the Church of SS. Michael and John still stands, the interior was...

15 October 2012

1878 – Killarney House, Co. Kerry

Architect: George Devey Designed as a replacement for Kenmare House of 1726 as the seat of the Earls of Kenmare. Legend has it that the site was selected by Queen Victoria on her...

21 November 2014

1878 – Olderfleet Hotel, Larne, Co. Antrim

Architect: Samuel Patrick Close Three storey hotel constructed for sea travellers next to the harbour. The interior boasted several large reception rooms. Demolished and replaced with a public house.