Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

18 February 2014

1700 – Platten Hall, Co. Meath

Architect: Sir William Robinson Construction started circa 1700 for Alderman John Graham. According to Maurice Craig, possibly designed by Sir William Robinson. Demolished in the 1950s. Replaced by a smaller house on the...

13 March 2012

1700c – Last Cage-work House, Dublin

Drawing of the last surviving cage-work house in Dublin on the corner of Castle Street and Werburgh Street, demolished around 1812. This building was probably post-medieval in date, but typical of many houses...

24 June 2014

1700s – Library Square, Trinity College Dublin

From Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837 “The second quadrangle, called the Library-square, is 265 feet in length and 214 feet in breadth. Three sides of it are occupied by uniform ranges...

15 November 2013

1700s – Northern Range of the Rubrics, Trinity College Dublin

Demolished to make way for the Graduates Memorial Building of 1902, the Rubrics once formed a quadrangle of similar buildings. One range remains to the east, but with the addition of dutch gables...

27 March 2012

1701 – Statue of William of Orange, College Green, Dublin

Architect: Of all the military and royal statuary in Dublin, that of William III drew most aggression, serving as it did as a focal point for annual Orange celebrations on July 1, the...

04 March 2012

1702 – The Exchange, Limerick

Architect: The Limerick City Exchange was built in 1673, close to St. Mary’s Cathedral to house the city’s covered market and council chamber. In 1702 the Exchange was demolished and replaced by a...

19 March 2012

1703 – Gola House, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Unusual house, similar to another in the county at Anketell. An unpopular family, the owners of Gola had been planted by King William in the 1660s. During the troubles of 1922, the...

30 March 2011

1703 – Santry Court, Santry, Co. Dublin

Architect: Santry Court – was am early 18th century mansion of red brick with stone facings, built in 1703 by the 3rd Lord Barry of Santry. It was of two storeys over a...

06 January 2012

1707 – Custom House, Dublin

Architect: Thomas Burgh The previous Custom House by Thomas Burgh and built in 1707 was sited up river at Essex Quay and was judged as structurally unsound just seventy years later. The site...