Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

31 January 2015

1905 – Kilteragh, Foxrock, Co. Dublin

Architect: W.D. Caroe Designed for Sir Horace Plunkett, by England-based William D. Caroe, in an Arts and Crafts style. Plunkett was involved in the agricultural co-operative Movement, a MP for South Co. Dublin,...

13 January 2011

1907 – Hamilton Tower, Queen’s University Belfast

Architect: Robert Cochrane Constructed as the porter’s gatelodge for university and designed in the Tudor-Revival style. A single-storey lodge was beside the tower with an octagonal, battlemented turret to the rear. Demolished in...

19 January 2012

1907 – Irish International Exhibition, Dublin

Architect: Kaye-Parry & Ross The leading force behind the project was William Martin Murphy, a prominent businessman and owner of the Irish Independent, Clerys, and the Dublin United Transport Company. The exposition ran...

09 July 2013

1907 – Royal Hippodrome Theatre, Belfast

Architect: Bertie Crewe The Royal Hippodrome Theatre was constructed beside the Grand Opera House in 1908-07. Later renovated in the 1960s as a Odeon cinema, it lost much of its original architectural detail....

09 June 2010

1907 – South Hailing Station, Britain Quay, Dublin

Smaller but similar to other towers near Alexandra Basin in the north docks, this little structure stood on the corner of the main Liffey waterway and the entrance to Grand Canal Docks. The...

05 June 2012

1907 – Warehouses, Sheriff Street, Dublin

Range of warehouses for the Merchants Warehousing Co. on Sheriff Street. Now demolished.

23 March 2011

1908 – Queen Victoria Statue, Leinster House, Dublin

Sculptor John Hughes Architect Thomas Manly Deane A sculptural ensemble dedicated to the memory of the recently deceased Queen Victoria. The queen sat atop the monument, a massive 15th foot tall; lower down...

10 June 2014

1908 – Swimming Baths, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Kaye-Parry & Ross Originally opened in 1842 and rebuilt by the town council in 1908. In 1843, John Croswaithe built baths on the corner of Scotsman’s Bay. Originally known as the Royal...

28 February 2013

1909 – Queen’s Theatre, Pearse St., Dublin

Architect: R.J. Stirling Now demolished, but built as a variety theatre in 1844, rebuilt in 1909, and later used by the Abbey Players after the Abbey Theatre was destroyed in a fire in...