Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

21 January 2015

1714 – Palace Anne, Co. Cork

Named after Anne LePoer, wife of Arthur Bernard, who built the house in 1714. Lewis describes it as “a stately mansion, beautifully situated”. The house became dilapidated after the sale by the Bernards...

17 July 2010

1714 – St. Luke’s Church, The Coombe, Dublin

Architect: Thomas Burgh In 1708, an act of parliament was passed which divided the parish of St. Nicholas Without and giving part of it the denomination of St. Luke’s. A Glebe House was...

29 March 2015

1715 – Green Coat School, Cork

In March 1715, construction started on two schools adjacent to the Green Coat Hospital for children of the Protestant faith. Boys were to be taught reading, writing and accounts whilst girls were to...

15 April 2013

1720 – Menlough Castle, Galway

A sixteenth-century tower house which has been altered and enlarged at various periods – notably with a two-bay four-storey block of c.1720. A 17th century tower house with substantial additions. In 1786 Wilson...

31 May 2013

1722 – Statue of George I, Essex Bridge, Dublin

Sculptor: John van Nost the Elder Erected on a elevated pedestal on the upstream side of what was then Essex Bridge in 1722. Commissioned in 1717 as “a grateful acknowledgement of the many...

21 November 2014

1725 – Riversdale House, Kilmainham, Dublin

Riversdale House, probably originally had Dutch Billy gables, and was constructed entirely in stone rather than brick. Constructed about 1725 by a Dublin lawyer called John Fitzpatrick who sold it shortly afterwards to...

08 May 2012

1727 – Corn Market House, Thomas St., Dublin

The Corn Market building was a long arcaded structure, the ground floor of which was completely open to the street. With thirteen arches on each side, and a central cupola, it was a...

13 December 2011

1728 – Linen Hall, Yarnhall St., Dublin

Architect: Thomas Burgh, Thomas Cooley In 1722 a centralised Linen Hall was proposed by the Linen Board and several sites around the city were considered and dismissed. The Linen Board eventually decided in...

23 February 2015

1729 – Archiepiscopal Palace, Tallaght, Co. Dublin

A castle was built on the site by the Anglo-Normans in 1324 to defend their town from the Irish tribes in the adjacent mountain territory. The castle gradually became run-down and was mostly...