Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

06 January 2015

1760s – Royal Irish Academy, No.107 Grafton Street, Dublin

Early home of the Royal Irish Academy, which had some minor work by Richard Johnstom, and internal stuccowork by Charles Thorp. The Royal Irish Academy instituted for the advancement of science, polite literature,...

21 March 2013

1761 – Statue of George II, South Mall, Cork

Architect: John Van Nost the Younger Equestrian statue of George II, erected 7 July and unveiled 16 Jul 1761. Originally was situated in the centre of Tuckey’s Bridge which connected Tuckey’s Quay, now...

14 December 2011

1762 – St. Thomas’s Church, Marlborough St., Dublin

Architect: John Smyth Construction started in 1758 and took four years to complete. Based on Palladio’s church of the Rendentore at Venice. Described by Malton as ‘…the church of St Thomas is an...

11 January 2013

1765 – Interior Designs, Langford House, Mary St., Dublin

Architect: Robert Adam Remodeling of house for Rt. Hon. Hercules Langford Rowley. Demolished 1931. The house was purchased by Rowley in 1743, and was a large five bay, four story house. It had...

13 December 2012

1765c – Stuart Hall, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone

Stuart Hall was built in the 1760s for Baron Stuart, later Viscount Castle Stuart. It was originally a three-storey Georgian house, joined to an old tower-house by a 19th century Gothic wing. More...

07 May 2012

1767 – Dublin Society, No. 112-113 Grafton St., Dublin

The first home of the Dublin Society (later the Royal Dublin Society) on Grafton Street. The architect Thomas Ivory was commissioned to design the museum inside the building, but the architect of the...

03 December 2014

1768 – Poolbeg Lighthouse, Dublin

Architect: John Smyth The Great South Wall on which Poolbeg Lighthouse stands, extends from Ringsend over 4km out to sea. It was the world’s longest sea-wall at the time of it’s construction and...

23 March 2011

1769 – St. John the Evangelist Church, Fishamble St., Dublin

Architect: George Ensor A church with a 12th century foundation, rebuilt several times, notably in 1681. In the mid 18th-century a committee was formed to raise funds for yet another renovation of the...

23 March 2013

1770 – Greenmount, Co. Limerick

Built in 1770, a large two storey house over basement, home of the Green family. In the 1960s the house was demolished and a large modern house built by the Earl of Harrington.