Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dublin City

10 June 2010

1760s – Clare Street, Dublin

Named after Denzille Holles (1597-1681), Earl of Clare (in Suffolk, not Ireland). The details of Dublin’s Georgian doorways varies greatly from street to street and even from doorway to doorway within the same...

04 January 2012

1760s – Hapenny Bridge Galleries, No.15 Bachelors Walk, Dublin

Beside the shop of Edward Butler, this antiques shop has a fine original shop fa├žade. In 1850, this premises was owned by D.Breen who was described as a “Life Insurance Company” and specialist...

06 January 2015

1760s – Royal Irish Academy, No.107 Grafton Street, Dublin

Early home of the Royal Irish Academy, which had some minor work by Richard Johnstom, and internal stuccowork by Charles Thorp. The Royal Irish Academy instituted for the advancement of science, polite literature,...

05 December 2013

1762 – Design for Hall Chimney-piece, Charlemont House, Dublin

Architect: Sir William Chambers Lord Charlemont had met and befriended Sir William Chambers in Italy while Chambers was studying roman antiquities and Charlemont was on a collecting trip. Years later, he hired Chambers...

16 February 2010

1762 – Merrion Square, Dublin

Developed by the Fitzwilliam Estate and named Merrion after the second Viscount Fitzwilliam of Merrion.The first project of the Fitzwilliam Estate was Merrion Street and it was quickly built on and plans were...

14 December 2011

1762 – St. Thomas’s Church, Marlborough St., Dublin

Architect: John Smyth Construction started in 1758 and took four years to complete. Based on Palladio’s church of the Rendentore at Venice. Described by Malton as ‘…the church of St Thomas is an...

11 June 2010

1763 – Charlemont House, Parnell Square, Dublin

Architect: Sir William Chambers Lord Charlemont had met and befriended Sir William Chambers in Italy while Chambers was studying roman antiquities and Charlemont was on a collecting trip. Years later Charlemont had hired...

20 January 2010

1764 – Mellows Bridge, Dublin

This is the oldest standing bridge spanning the Liffey. Built in 1764 and completed in 1768, it was originally known as Queens Bridge after Charlotte of Mecklenburg, wife of George III. It was...

11 January 2013

1765 – Interior Designs, Langford House, Mary St., Dublin

Architect: Robert Adam Remodeling of house for Rt. Hon. Hercules Langford Rowley. Demolished 1931. The house was purchased by Rowley in 1743, and was a large five bay, four story house. It had...