Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dublin City

12 June 2012

1765 – Leitrim House, Stephen St., Dublin

Large Georgian mansion now in use as offices. Has an excellent toplit staircase with fine plaster work. The building has an unusual floor plan arrangement on the ground level, perhaps due to the...

05 February 2010

1766 – Royal Hibernian Military School, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: Francis Johnston Formerly the Royal Hibernian Military School, for children of deceased soldiers, it originally may have been designed by Thomas Cooley who did the school chapel in the grounds. Thirty years...

07 May 2012

1767 – Dublin Society, No. 112-113 Grafton St., Dublin

The first home of the Dublin Society (later the Royal Dublin Society) on Grafton Street. The architect Thomas Ivory was commissioned to design the museum inside the building, but the architect of the...

03 December 2014

1768 – Poolbeg Lighthouse, Dublin

Architect: John Smyth The Great South Wall on which Poolbeg Lighthouse stands, extends from Ringsend over 4km out to sea. It was the world’s longest sea-wall at the time of it’s construction and...

03 January 2013

1769 – Design for Royal Exchange, Dublin

Architect: Thomas Sandby Third placed entry in competition to design a Royal Exchange for Dublin. Although some sources including Wright’s “An Historical Guide to Ancient and Modern Dublin” (1821) suggest he was placed...

16 November 2011

1769 – Royal Exchange, Dublin

Architect: Francis Sandys Design for the Royal Exchange, Dublin, now City Hall, was executed by Irish Architect Francis Sandys for an architecture competition to design the building. There were approximately 61 entries from...

27 March 2009

1769 – St. Catherine’s Church, Thomas St., Dublin

Architect: John Smyth Originally built in 1185, the church was rebuilt in its present form in the 18th century by John Smyth (or Smith). Maurice Craig maintained that St. Catherine’s has “the finest...

23 March 2011

1769 – St. John the Evangelist Church, Fishamble St., Dublin

Architect: George Ensor A church with a 12th century foundation, rebuilt several times, notably in 1681. In the mid 18th-century a committee was formed to raise funds for yet another renovation of the...

05 February 2010

1771 – Royal Hibernian Military School Chapel, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: Thomas Cooley Built as the chapel for the Royal Hibernian Military School, this wonderful little building is now in the grounds of St Mary’s Hospital of which the original buildings of the...