Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dublin City

09 June 2010

1780s – Ferryman Hotel, Sir John Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin

One of the few remaining older buildings on this quay, as most of the former industrial premises have been pulled down for redevelopment. The Ferryman Hotel was built in the 1780’s by Lord...

16 February 2010

1781 – Newcomen Bank, Lord Edward Street, Dublin

Architect: Thomas Ivory Designed by the architect Thomas Ivory in 1781, the former Newcomen Bank is now in use as a Rates office. The original building was half the size of the current...

27 April 2009

1782 – Mulligans, Poolbeg Street, Dublin

Mulligan’s pub was founded in 1782 and retains much of its original character with its low ceiling and wooden bar. Due to its proximity to the former Irish Press offices, it was a...

09 June 2010

1782 – No. 9 Merchants Quay, Dublin

Recently restored by the Historic Heart of Dublin, No.9 Merchants Quay has some interesting original features including plasterwork, an iron balustrading on the stairs and some fine fireplaces. However during renovations some much...

08 February 2010

1785 – Examination Hall, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Sir William Chambers Designed by Sir William Chambers, the Examination Hall faces across the main quadrangle towards the Chapel which he also designed. Also known as the Public Theatre and intended for...

05 February 2010

1786 – Irish Army Headquarters, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: James Gandon A building often overlooked by visitors to the park, the Army Headquarters was built by James Gandon as the Royal Military Infirmary. Gandon was paid in 1786 for the designwork,...

01 March 2013

1786 – Simpson’s Hospital, Parnell St., Dublin

Architect: Simon Vierpyl Simpson’s Hospital was founded in 1779 under the terms of a Mr George Simpson’s will, a Dublin merchant who left bequests to many charities including funds to establish Simpson’s Hospital....

04 January 2013

1787c – Unbuilt West Elevation of Houses of Parliament, Dublin

Architect:James Gandon Unbuilt elevation design for west front of Irish Houses of Parliament in Dublin. Attributed to Gandon by the Yale Center for British Art.

02 February 2010

1788 – Dodder Bridge, Ringsend, Dublin

Fine stone single span bridge linking the village of Ringsend to the city centre, by an unknown architect.

Skip to toolbar