Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dublin City

17 December 2013

1790 – Fountain, James St., Dublin

Architect: Francis Sandys An obelisk with 4 sundials with a drinking fountain at its base, built in 1790 by the Duke of Rutland, the Lord Lieutenant. The architect Francis Sandys was responsible for...

07 July 2010

1790 – No. 38 Dame Street, Dublin

One of the original plots of Dame Street from when it was widened by the Wide Streets Commissioners, No. 38 also retains its original ground floor facade. Originally many of the streets widened...

18 February 2010

1790 – Sick and Indigent Roomkeepers Society, Palace Street, Dublin

For years the only building on the short Palace Street which leads from Dame Street to the Lower Yard, Dublin Castle. Whether it is the vigorously incised plasterwork or the enigmatic society’s name...

10 February 2010

1790 – Westmoreland Street, Dublin

Leading from College Green to O’Connell street and named after John Fane, tenth Earl of Westmoreland and Lord Lieutenant 1790-94. One of the last streets to be laid out by the Wide Streets...

09 June 2010

1790s – Mount Street, Dublin

Probably named after the mount of Gallows Hill, which lay between here and modern Baggot Street which, was known as Gallows Road in 1757 and is shown in Rocque’s map of 1756. There...

09 June 2010

1790s – Nos. 3-4 Harcourt Street, Dublin

Edward Carson (1854-1935), the father of Ulster Unionism was born in No.4 Harcourt Street and represented Trinity College as Unionist MP in London. These two houses are now part of the adjoining hotel,...

31 January 2013

1790s – Unbuilt Wide Streets Commission Approach & Entrance to Dublin Castle

Unbuilt plan by the Wide Streets Commissioners for a new ceremonial entrance to the Lower Yard of Dublin Castle and street to the “round church” – St. Andrew’s. The entrance at the Lower...

04 February 2010

1791 – Custom House, Customhouse Quay, Dublin

Architect: James Gandon The Custom House is often considered architecturally the most important building in Dublin and is sited on the river front with Beresford Place to the rear. The Custom House was...

13 December 2011

1791 – Design for Dame Street, Dublin

Architect: Thomas Sherrard Design for part of north side of Dame Street, going westwards from Anglesea Street. Abandoned when part of the site was developed for Commercial Buildings.