Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dublin City

09 June 2010

13th C. – St Audoen’s Gate, Dublin City Walls, High Street, Dublin

The two remaining stretches of the City Wall visible above ground can be seen at St Audoen’s Church and at the nearby Cornmarket although portions of the city wall, gates and towers have...

19 September 2012

15th C. – Brown’s Castle, Dublin

Approximately where Cornmarket is now, Brown’s Castle was better known as the Black Dog prison. The castle became a tavern from which the prison got its name. From the early 18th century the...

29 March 2015

1673 – Blue Coat School, Dublin

In Oxmantown Green, the King’s Hospital or Bluecoat School, was erected between 1669 and 1673 as a free school for boys and an alms house for unprivileged. Officially the building was known as...

14 February 2014

1674 – Yarranton proposal for canals and harbour, Ringsend

Andrew Yarranton, (1619-1684), a former soldier in the English Civil War, travelled throughout England and northern Europe as civil engineer. He worked as a consultant and entrepreneur on mines, metalworks, canals, railways and...

25 January 2010

1680 – Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Dublin

Architect: Sir William Robinson The Royal Hospital Kilmainham is a mile and a half west of the city centre and at the time of its construction the site was part of the Phoenix...

19 February 2010

1680 – State Apartments, Dublin Castle

The State Apartments in Dublin Castle were originally constructed as living accommodation for the Lord Lieutenant. The Lord Lieutenants preferred the comforts of the Phoenix Park residence however and tended to live there...

09 December 2011

1682 – Tholsel, Dublin

Architect: The name “Tholsel” is derived from two old English words: “toll”, meaning tax; and “sael”, or hall, the place where tolls were paid. In the middle ages it served as court house,...

13 April 2010

1686 – St Michan’s Church of Ireland, Church Street, Dublin

Architect: Sir William Robinson This structure dates from 1685-86 and was built on the site of an earlier structure founded by the Danes in 1095. Originally St Michan’s was built to serve the...

07 April 2015

1690s – Barrack Bridge, Dublin

Barrack Bridge was originally a wooden structure built in 1670, and was the second bridge across the river Liffey. During its construction, a number of men attempted to destroy it on several occasions...


Skip to toolbar