Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dublin City

17 October 2010

1699 – West Front, Trinity College Dublin

Illustration of the original west front of Trinity College, as illustrated in Charles Brookings map of 1728. Demolished in the 1750s. According to Edward McParland’s Public Architecture in Ireland 1680-1760, the wings were...

08 February 2010

1700 – The Rubrics, Trinity College Dublin

The Rubrics are the oldest existing buildings in Trinity College and were built around 1700. Originally part of a quadrangle of similar buildings, this is the sole remaining block and closes the square...

13 March 2012

1700c – Last Cage-work House, Dublin

Drawing of the last surviving cage-work house in Dublin on the corner of Castle Street and Werburgh Street, demolished around 1812. This building was probably post-medieval in date, but typical of many houses...

24 June 2014

1700s – Library Square, Trinity College Dublin

From Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837 “The second quadrangle, called the Library-square, is 265 feet in length and 214 feet in breadth. Three sides of it are occupied by uniform ranges...

15 November 2013

1700s – Northern Range of the Rubrics, Trinity College Dublin

Demolished to make way for the Graduates Memorial Building of 1902, the Rubrics once formed a quadrangle of similar buildings. One range remains to the east, but with the addition of dutch gables...

25 January 2010

1701 – Collins Barracks, Arbour Hill, Dublin

Architect: Thomas Burgh Collins Barracks is the oldest inhabited barracks in Europe and once one of the largest. In recent years the National Museum of Ireland has taken over the Calvary Square ranges...

10 February 2010

1701 – Marshe’s Library, St Patrick’s Close, Dublin

Architect: Sir William Robinson Designed by Sir William Robinson who was also the architect of the Royal Hospital Kilmainham and the Surveyor General from 1670-1700, the Library was set up by Archbishop Narcissus...

27 March 2012

1701 – Statue of William of Orange, College Green, Dublin

Architect: Of all the military and royal statuary in Dublin, that of William III drew most aggression, serving as it did as a focal point for annual Orange celebrations on July 1, the...

15 July 2010

1702 – St Mary’s Church, Mary Street, Dublin

Architect: Sir William Robinson Outwardly the exterior of St Mary’s is relatively unexciting with the round headed windows that Robinson also used at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham the most dominant feature. The church...


Skip to toolbar