Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dublin City

17 September 2009

1900 – Nurses’ Home for Royal City of Dublin Hospital

Architect: Albert E. Murray Designed as the nurses’ home for Royal City of Dublin Hospital on nearby Baggot Street, this is now a hotel. “This is being erected in St. Mary’s-road, the recreation...

29 March 2012

1900 – Royal Triumphal Archway, Leeson Street, Dublin

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew Temporary gateway erected for the visit of Queen Victoria to Dublin in 1900. A ceremonial affair, the Queen was to enter the city boundaries and be given the keys...

01 February 2010

1900 – Whooley’s Pharmacy, Sandymount, Dublin

Originally built as a Chandler’s shop, the Art Nouveau facade was added around 1900 to add light to the interior. Has since been adapted to a restaurant and now a chemist’s shop.

21 March 2013

1901 – Dublin Bread Company, O’Connell St., Dublin

Architect: George F. Beckett A massively overscaled building on Lower O’Connell Street, and a landmark for only 15 years. A popular restaurant at first floor level, withe smoking rooms and recessed balconies on...

13 April 2010

1901 – Former Fire Station, Dorset Street, Dublin

Architect: C.J. McCarthy A fine fire station designed by the city architect C.J McCarthy in 1901, this was one of a series designed by the architect in the city. The others are on...

26 January 2010

1901 – Former Trustee Savings Bank, Rathmines, Dublin

Architect: Vincent Craig Designed by the Belfast based architect Vincent Craig (brother of the first Prime-minister of Northern Ireland, Lord Craigavon) as a branch for the Belfast Banking Company. This later became part...

23 October 2012

1901 – Nurses’s Home, Dr. Steeven’s Hospital, Dublin

Architect: Millar & Symes Demolished Nurses Home and extra hospital accommodation, previously sited infront of Dr. Steeven’s Hospital. Once removed, it opened up the site to allow the hospital buildings to be better...

19 February 2010

1901 – Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital, Adelaide Road, Dublin

Architect: Carroll & Batchelor The ‘Eye and Ear’ as it is known opened in 1901 in a Queen Anne inspired symmetrical design by Carroll & Batchelor. Internally the circulation spaces were skimped on...

13 January 2014

1901 – St. Aiden’s Church, Drumcondra, Dublin

Architect: Richard Orpen Chapel-of-ease for the St. George’s Parish. The building was built to accommodate 400 people. Demolished to make way for a rectory in 1963.