Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dublin City

18 February 2010

1745 – Leinster House, Kildare Street, Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels Leinster House was designed by Richard Cassels in 1745 for the Earls of Kildare and Leinster, The Fitzgeralds. At this time, this area was undeveloped and known as the lands...

13 March 2012

1747 – Leinster House Gateway, Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels Former gateway to Leinster House which terminated the vista of Molesworth Street from Dawson Street. Demolished with the development of the National Museum and Library adjacent to Leinster House in...

05 February 2010

1747 – Phoenix Monument, Phoenix Park, Dublin

A Corinthian column with a Phoenix rising from the ashes at its pinnacle. It was erected by Lord Chesterfield in 1747. During the early part of the twentieth century, it was moved from...

17 November 2014

1747 – Weavers Hall, The Coombe, Dublin

Architect: Joseph Jarratt A weavers’ hall had been built by The Weavers’ Guild, The Guild of the Blessed Virgin Mary, in the Lower Coombe in 1682. In 1745, when the building of a...

11 June 2010

1748 – Rotunda Hospital, Parnell Square, Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels The Rotunda Hospital officially the Dublin Lying-in Hospital was the first maternity hospital in Britain or Ireland and was at one time the largest in the world. Really it is...

30 November 2011

1748 – Royal Charter School, Clontarf

Architect: In 1733 King George III granted a charter that provided protestant education for the poor. The chartered school system attempted to educate children in the scriptures as well as teaching them about...

23 June 2010

1750 – Dominick Street, Dublin

This was developed by the Dominick family in the 1750s and for a time was very fashionable with some fine house being developed. The street went into terminal decline after the Act of...

10 June 2010

1750 – No.5 South Leinster Street, Dublin

Beautifully restored in 2007/08, this fine Georgian building with later Victorian external details adjoins and is surrounded by the National Gallery of Ireland wing by Benson + Forsyth. Originally intended to be demolished,...

09 June 2010

1750 – No.6 South Leinster Street, Dublin

A Georgian house from around 1750, this building now contains offices. Maintained in good condition, the interior has a fine staircase and entrance hall.