Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown

25 May 2013

1805 – Shanganagh Castle, Co. Dublin

Architect: Sir Richard Morrison Developed in the early 1800s around a plain classical house of the mid 18th century. Morrison was commissioned by Major-General Sir George Cockburn into a romantic-looking castle with space...

27 January 2010

1820 – Harbour Commissioner’s House, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Built in the neo-classical style with Dalkey granite in 1820. Contains an unusual staircase and is surmounted by a clock tower and signalling turret. Recently restored externally as the centrepiece of a modern...

28 January 2010

1821 – King George IV Monument, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

The town was officially renamed Kingstown in 1821 in honour of a visit by the British King George IV, but reverted to its ancient Irish name by resolution of the town council in...

01 October 2012

1821 – Memorial of Kings Visit to Ireland, Dun Laoghaire

To commemorate the visit of King George IV to Ireland, the first occasion a British monarch had visited Ireland since the reign of Richard II. “The small truncated pyramidal Column at Kingstown which...

16 April 2013

1824 – St. Philip and St. James Church, Booterstown, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Bowden & J. Rawson Carroll Constructed on a site donated by the Earl of Pembroke and funded a grant by the Board of First Fruits, a further donation of money by...

06 May 2013

1826 – Church of Ireland, Kilternan, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Semple Church building readily identifiable as the work of Semple with later interior decoration from the early twentieth century – including stained glass and reredos. Built by John Richardson on a...

26 January 2010

1830 – Monkstown Church of Ireland, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Semple & John McCurdy Originally built in 1789, but re-modelled in 1830 by John Semple, the Church of Ireland in Monkstown is an extravagant piece of 19th century church architecture. Extended...

18 December 2014

1834 – Lord Cloncurry’s Tunnel, Blackrock, Co. Dublin

Architect: William Cole Proposal for a tunnel through Lord Cloncurry’s grounds, with pedestrian bridges at either end. In the end, only one footbridge was constructed, the towers of which stand today. At the...

03 January 2015

1840 – Killiney Castle, Killiney, Co. Dublin

Architect: Sandham Symes This house has been alternatively known as Mount Malpas, Roxborough and Loftus Hill. The first house on the site was built about 1740 for Col. John Mapas or Malpas. The...

Skip to toolbar