Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Fingal

28 January 2010

1903 – Malahide Railway Station, Co. Dublin

Architect: William H. Mills Designed in a similar style to other stations on this line notably Dundalk and Drogheda, Malahide Station is a wonderful small building in polychromic brick and with an excellent...

21 January 2010

1905 – Carnegie Library, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Architect: George L. O’Connor Built in 1905 on a prominent corner site, the Carnegie Free library was designed by George L. O’Connor. Its dominant feature is the corbelled circular in plan, bartizan clock...

28 May 2013

1908 – Carnegie Library, Swords, Co. Dublin

Architect: Anthony Scott Former library building, one of several designed by Anthony Scott as local authorities availed of Carnegie Trust grants. Scott also designed libraries in nearby Malahide and Skerries – both architecturally...

28 January 2010

1909 – Carnegie Library, Malahide, Co. Dublin

Architect: Anthony Scott An elaborately gabled red brick Library, the Carnegie Library was built in 1909 at a cost of £1000. Andrew Carnegie, a Scottish multi-millionaire, donated huge amounts of money for the...

28 January 2010

1910 – Carnegie Library, Skerries, Co. Dublin

Architect: Anthony Scott & William Scott A fine little library originally endowed by Andrew Carnegie, and the result of an architectural competition in 1908. Designed by the father and son firm, the main...

28 January 2010

1915 – Former Schoolhouse, Howth, Co. Dublin

Architect: Board of Public Works Typical design for 19th century schools across Ireland, this one at Howth is now in use as offices.

28 January 2010

1936 – St Patrick’s Church, Skerries, Co. Dublin

Architect: John J. Robinson Large modern church built to replace an earlier building. The interior is very dark, sombre and not very uplifting.

22 January 2010

1937 – Dublin Airport

Architect: Desmond FitzGerald The original Dublin airport teminal was the most important pre-war Irish building in the International Style. Designed by a team of architects within the Office of Public Works led by...

22 January 2010

1959 – North Terminal, Dublin Airport

Architect: Department of Transport and Power Interesting little mid-century modern building with sculpted roof profile. Now in use as offices. The original terminal was planned to handle a maximum of 250,000 passengers per...