Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Co. Dublin

12 June 2010

1950s – Former Veterinary College, Ballsbridge, Dublin

Architect: Two separate veterinary schools were run by UCD and TCD at the Ballsbridge site and this continued until 1977 when the two schools were merged and fully incorporated into UCD. With an...

17 November 2014

1951 – Boland’s Biscuit Mills, Grand Canal Street, Dublin

Architect: Samuel Stevenson & Son Built on the site of a building occupied by Éamon de Valera during the 1916 Easter Rising, DeValera would later be President of Ireland, a fact commemorated by...

30 December 2007

1953 – Busáras, Store St., Dublin

Architect: Michael Scott Busáras is one of the first post Second World War examples of the International Modern style in Europe. Busáras was designed by Michael Scott and his team of young architects...

01 February 2010

1953 – Donnybrook Bus Garage, Donnybrook, Dublin

Architect: Michael Scott Donnybrook Bus Garage was completed in 1952. This was a much more radical building than Inchicore and was designed in association with the Danish engineer Ove Arup (1895-1988) whom Michael...

08 February 2010

1953 – Moyne Institute, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Desmond Fitzgerald

27 January 2010

1953 – Passenger Terminal, Carlisle Pier, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Office of Public Works Recently demolished, this 1950s ferry terminal hid a Victorian railway station. The passenger terminal was designed as a temporary measure to be replaced at a later stage with...

03 May 2013

1953 – Synagogue, Terenure, Dublin

Architect: Wilfrid Cantwell At one time, in the 1950s, there were between 4,000 and 5,000 Jews living in Ireland, most of them in Dublin, using several different synagogues. After this building by Wilfrid...

03 May 2010

1955 – Former Meath Hospital, Heytesbury St., Dublin

Architect: Robinson Keefe Devane Extension to the original 19th century hosipital in a Dutch modern style. Extended in 1962 by the same architects. Three substantial interlinked blocks make up this stage of the...

26 April 2010

1957 – Christian Brothers School, Fairview, Dublin

Architect: O’Connor & Aylward Best described as mid-century Irish religious institutional, this school for the Christian Brothers was built alongside an earlier building.